Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

96 zrt 600

7K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  thug08 
#1 ·
I have a 96 zrt 600 and the plug on the clutch side cylinder is always wet,put a new one in and go for a 1 min ride and it's fouled.it didn't do this last year at all and ran great when i parked it. my copresion is 105 on my outside cylinders and 110 on the middle.i've cleaned the carbs like 20 times,i've swaped them from cylinder to cylinder,i unpluged my kill switch,i even went with a hotter plug to try it out and,still the same thing.FOULING BAD AND BLOWING OIL OUT OF THE PIPE!!! so if anyone has any ideas on what might be wrong,PLEASE let me know.

[attachment=60664:100_0380.jpg]

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
How is the spark compared to the other cyclinders.

Is is just as strong?

Other than that it does sound like that cylinder is definitely overfueled.

How did you store it. It must be something relatively simple if it ran great last year.

Definity look at the float and choke if your spark is strong.

If you did not store the engine properly you might have some varnish holding the float valve open.

Ben

#4 ·
The spark is fine,i store it in a heated shop, and it's not a carb problem i've changed them around from cylinder to cylinder to make sure and cleaned them 20 times.all the needles are set the same,all new choke cables and switch i've gone threw all the wireing just to make sure.i'm been playing around with it since dec 1 called dealers and they have no clue

But i think kev might be on to something on the reeds.so i'll check them tomorrow night after the old lady has the baby and i get home

I'll keep you posted.

[attachment=60722:xfthsrths_006.jpg]

Attachments

#6 ·
my Guess would be one of the check valves on your oil pump is weak

its # 6 on the diagram there are 3 of them one for each cylinder, they should all open aat 4.5-5.6 lbs
i would bet you have one that is opening at 1 lb, i would check this before you do anything else i have seen this on several sleds especially from the 95 96 and 97 era. this is also cause for the oil pump shaft and water pump seal damage on some of these the extra oil your pumping into the mag side cylinder is supposed to be going to the oil pump shaft bushings. its a crappy design.
you need a pump up radiator type tester with a guage to check em , i would check all 3 of them and make sure they are within a 1/2 lb of each other. and 4lb opening minimum

dan

#7 ·
it's my clutch side fouling not the mag side.my mag side and middle cylinders run fine.

if there was something rong with my oil pump doesn't it open right up so you don't blow up? i herd that or read that somewere i think.lol
and besides my oil pump flows into my fuil pump to mix.so it would over flow all my cylinders

i haven't had a chance to check the reeds yet just got home from the hospital had a baby girl today.
but if i pull my reeds do i need to get a news set of gaskets?

lol when she get home from the hospital i'll get a pick of her on the sled

[attachment=60829:baili_le...bson_010.jpg]

Attachments

#8 ·
ok what sled are we talkin about here???? on a 96 zrt the oil pump does not goto the fuel pump unless you changed this somewhere along the line.
the pump is obviously working but in the stock arrangement you have a line that runs to each carb boot underneath, it one check valve opens up with less pressure than the other ones that cylinder is going to get more oil. i have seen this on numerous occasions.

so unless you switched the entire oiling system to something else or are not talking about 96 zrt 600?????

dan

#9 ·
Congrates on the new addition!! Its been along time since mine were that small. I agree that it could be the check valve on the oil pump. I don't believe (I could be wrong) that a reed problem would make you rich and foul the plug. A reed problem would however explain a lower compression reading on that cylinder. Easiest thing to do would be to switch reed cages from #3 to #2 and vise versa. Run the sled and read the plug. Do a compression check as well again on the two cylinders that you swapped the reed cages on. If the problem moves well then I am full of crap and reeds will make you foul. The oil pump is a pain (and a mess) to work on, but should not be overlooked just because its hidden away. Its too bad that the lines are not longer as you could switch them from cylinder to cylinder to see if the problem moves. If you do have a system that mixes the oil to the pump, please post pics so we can see.

#11 ·
I didnt really read through all the post, so not sure if its mentioned yet but. I had almost the exact same thing turned out one of my water trap hoses was filled up with gunk and it was cracked.

#16 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dantheman @ Jan 16 2007, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
oh and before you do that make sure the airbox is not obstructed and also i have seen some mice actually climb up inside one of the silncers and make a nest in there, make sure you have air in and air out

dan[/b]

no i checked the air box and pipes at the begining of the season (regular maintnance) i did find a mouse nest in the middle pipe at the time

#19 ·
Congrats on the new baby! :thumbsup: Its been a while since i messed with the 600 triples but, I had one couple a years ago flooding on one cylinder and it was the vacuum line from the fuel pump. The pump diaphram was leaking and flooding the cylinder out right away. I don't remember if it gets it's vacuum from the pto side but, it might be worth looking at. My 02 cents worth. Good luck!

#21 ·
I know you already said spark was fine. If you haven't tried it yet you can try swapping spark plug wires between cylinders. Since there is no firing order you can mix and match them just to elimate a problem with coil, wire or endcap.

With a new baby, you're lucky you get a chance to work on the sled. :lol: Congrats!

#22 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kev @ Jan 23 2007, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know you already said spark was fine. If you haven't tried it yet you can try swapping spark plug wires between cylinders. Since there is no firing order you can mix and match them just to elimate a problem with coil, wire or endcap.

With a new baby, you're lucky you get a chance to work on the sled. :lol: Congrats![/b]

i've tried that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.