Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, l have a 96 ZRT that has been a real heart breaker, you can pull 100 times and she won't start and other times she'll start on the 4th pull.
When I do get her running she runs great but is hard to restart even if she is warm.
I've checked the compression and it's 120, 120, 115 and I've replaced the plugs.
I was wondering if I should install a fuel primer, or should I think of installing a electic starter.
Hope some one can help me. Thnx :cabinsno:

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Have you determined yet whether it's a spark or fuel issue when it doesn't want to start?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is spark and fuel, but can start it by pulling spark plugs and adding fuel before l pull her over

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
Check the impulse line going to the case for cracks and clean the carbs.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Clean and check everything in the fuel delivery system. Start with inside the tank...pull the pick up line to make sure the screen isn't plugged. Change out fuel lines, fuel filter and like tcat446 says check the pulse line. Maybe a dead/dying fuel pump and clean carbs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My ZRT did this too ended up it was leaking on the main fuel line going into the pump so after it sat, the line would empty it's self and i had to pull it 600 times to get the line to refill it's self. That and when i first got it those little ******* before each carb where leaking draining them which caused the same basic problem.
Mine seem to always run funny also until i cleaned the carbs each year which was due to not prepping it for storage correctly but the carbs always seemed a bit picky on it.
Like the other guys said go through the fuel system end to end.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just picked up a 96 ZRT 600 that does something similar. It will start on 2 cylinders, sometimes first or second pull, but wont run on the mag side cylinder. I've switched plugs, wires,etc. Kinda seems to be a fuel issue. Even after warming up it wont fire on that cyl.
There is a switch with a wire going to each carb, what is this for? I havent started reading up and searching things out but will shortly. Any suggestions?

Jeff

·
Registered
58 Posts
The wires going to the carbs are for if your carb freezes wide open and you let off the throttle it will kill the motor. but they cause problems I unhooked mine and tired them together with a jumper wire sled worked much better after this.

My sled would always run funny until i took the carbs apart and did a full cleaning. End up doing this every year than it runs perfect. after another 400 times pulling it to fill the carbs with gas again.

You have good compression in that cylinder right?

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
My Zert (same year/model) is cantankerous at startup from time to time. It's usually is a matter of holding the throttle wide open for a couple of tugs, then she fires.

Even after cleaning all of the carbs and installing new tubes, it still happens. I dunno

·
Registered
349 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlackRaptor @ Nov 16 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The wires going to the carbs are for if your carb freezes wide open and you let off the throttle it will kill the motor. but they cause problems I unhooked mine and tired them together with a jumper wire sled worked much better after this.

My sled would always run funny until i took the carbs apart and did a full cleaning. End up doing this every year than it runs perfect. after another 400 times pulling it to fill the carbs with gas again.

You have good compression in that cylinder right?
[/b]
Yep, its got 130 - 140 on each cylinder. I'bve swapped plugs, wires, etc. Next is to swap carbs to confirm my suspicion. I'm thinkig something in the carb is gummed and not letting enough fuel through. It fires up on 1 - 2 pulls, sounds good, but that cylinder doesnt fire

·
Registered
349 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlackRaptor @ Nov 16 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

You have good compression in that cylinder right?[/b]

So if I run a jumper wire to create a closed loop it should bypass the switchs?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spitfire79 @ Nov 16 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlackRaptor @ Nov 16 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have good compression in that cylinder right?[/b]

So if I run a jumper wire to create a closed loop it should bypass the switchs?

Jeff
[/b][/quote]

The directions are pinned in the top of the zrt fourm. TSS bypass. For anyone with a problem w/ one cylnder not firing, check the choke plunger on that carb. I had a stuck one and it would flood that cyl.. They seem to stick open or closed on alot of sleds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank You everyone, I won't beable to work on her till this weekend but will check fuel lines tank screen and get carbs cleaned, hope this will solve this .. will let you know if this works

·
Registered
132 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spitfire79 @ Nov 16 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just picked up a 96 ZRT 600 that does something similar. It will start on 2 cylinders, sometimes first or second pull, but wont run on the mag side cylinder. I've switched plugs, wires,etc. Kinda seems to be a fuel issue. Even after warming up it wont fire on that cyl.
There is a switch with a wire going to each carb, what is this for? I havent started reading up and searching things out but will shortly. Any suggestions?

Jeff[/b]
I had this problem on my Tcat. Check where the impulse line comes off the engine block. There is a port on each cyl under the intake manifold /reed cage. The fuel pump/pumps only use one or two of these ports. The third one has a rubber plug capping it off. They dry rot and fall off or crack. I replaced mine and now it runs like a top.

Another trick I learned to starting these things: If you have fuel at the carbs, don't yank the crap out of it. Leave the ignition off, pull it over gently 2-4 times, turn ignition on, give it one GOOD pull. It should start right up.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If I remember correctly my friend who used to be a mechanic at a local cat dealer told me there was a memo on the fuel line something about it had to be rerouted because there were issuse with itpossably coming in contact with the jackshaft . So I like everyone said check the fuel line system

·
Registered
62 Posts
There was a update on the 96 that didn't apply to all of them. Check the 1/8 inch air tube on the top of the gas tank under the console to see if it is pinched in the steering frame loop .If it is pinched the fuel pump will not draw fuel to fill the crabs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
l just cleaned the carbs and checked the fuel lines, everything is good, she will start now on the 2nd pull but the motor starts on high rpm and won't come down, l've checked the lines going to the carbs, nothing seems to be out of the norm

·
Registered
161 Posts
My triple touring (2000) does the same. Fires up on a high idle and after it has warmed up for a few mins will drop down. It only does this at the beginning of the day. After that it does not do it again. Its done it ever since I have owned the machine so I don't think there is anything to worry about.

If for some reason your idle does not drop down after the machine is warmed up then you should look at your idle settings on your carbs and specifically you should check to make sure that all of carbs are synchronized.

Before you get into sync - ing your carbs check to see that after warming the machine up and tapping the throttle a couple of times, that the machine doesn't settle down in to that sweet triple drone all by itself.

Good luck, keep us posted

Ben

1 - 20 of 20 Posts