Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the wrong spot, so i thought I would post it here,
I want to get into grass & ice drags, but have no idea where to start. I have a 1996 ZRT 600 that I completeley rebuilt mechanical wise with SPI Teflon coated pistons, V Force reeds & I plan to remove the Air Box and put on filters Where should I go from here? Gearing ? Suspension setup? Clutching? Any help or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If you going to grass drag go in Trail stock 6 tripple pipe. You cant have Vforce and you cant remove the air box. Otherwise your going to be put in mod stock class and you will get ate alive.
Trail stock is for people just starting out. Clutch and set up for the rear skid is about all you need. Take the carbite off other wise it causes to much drag. add a few more wheels to the rails. Lower the front springs on the skis get the front end lower. Pull the limiter straps up 1 hole tighten the front spring on the rear shock as tight as you can get it. Move the rear arm forward and set the blocks at the tightest. Clutch you wanna get your RPM engagment at 5500 or close to it. Sit on the seat towards the tank you dont want the front to come up anymore then about a foot on take off. you wanna spin about 3-4 feet and hook and go. Reason for the spin is get the RPM up to your peak grass is different then ice it bogs you down so you wanna break a little. Usually in trail stock you should have to gear you can but if you get a good clutch kit just play with set up on the rear skid you should do alright. Jetting for about 70 degrees so you going to drop 4 jet sizes or more from factory. TEST TEST TEST is the best advice I can give you. write everything down you did adjust one thing at a time. I gave you the base line to get set up there are some more tricks. My advice is watch the guys that win. You pick up on alot of little things. Get 2 new belts the same size because when a belt gets hot it stretches and your top RPM drops. If you advance to the next round you will need to change your belt and cool the other. Sleds like to be warmed up but not hot. Get a leaf blower and bags of ice to cool the engine since you cant use a cool down cart. Run your track just to the point at ratching almost. The looser the more speed. Theres a fine line there also. Like I said test test test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice. I never thought about all the different classes. It would definitely be good idea to start at the bottom & work my way up. I have already been thinking about adding bogies but I wasn't sure how many or where at. If i do change gears, what do you recommend? Also I know alot of people make clutch kits, so what are some good brands? I have been looking at a trail performance kit from EPI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts