Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all; looking for some insight from the gurus. Reading on here most suggest just buying a new clutch; however I am in Canada and they are prohibitively expensive here...

Sled is a 96 Zr580. Has about 5,000 miles and the primary clutch is pretty rough. I can't see any cracks. As far as I am aware it has NEVER been rebuilt. Has a yellow spring; green stripe.

Rollers look rough and are no longer in contact with the weights. The weights have a crescent groove out of them.

I am thinking a full rebuild is in order? No idea what all those parts are worth.

New clutch is $712; plus tax = $805. Surely I can rebuild for less than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
When i did mine, the weights were $20 each. I think the pins like $20 for the three. I believe any more than those items and the spring, you have to remove the spider. If you dont have the right tools, its cost prohibitive. Alpha Sports has the tools, but they are $300. That spider requires close to 200 ft lbs of torque. I might be off on that a bit, but its a lot.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply; I don't have the tools but a chum of mine does....I priced out the parts including spider from local dealer microfiche and it's more than the clutch new!! I can get a comet for 400 or so plus tax then need weights and spring.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There was just a 9 post on craigslist last week here in Syracuse for $125. I can get you the info if you need it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just my 2cents but from experience, buying a used clutch will most likely be a money pit and a headache when you find that a lot of those years there's bushing that aren't available. The comet option is most cost effective in the long run.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips. Looks like the comet is cheaper to rebuild too. It's not like I am racing the damn thing; I just like to get out and go for a ride. I think the comet would be fine.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Purchasing anything from the US from Canada right now is costly due to the dollar for the OP. Royal Distributing has comet EXP 108 clutches at reasonable prices new. They ship free anything over $80

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Dont quote me on this, but can you not get a new factory cat clutch from ebay.. Uncalibrated but under 400 to your door? All youd have to do is swap in your springs and weights.. Like said, i could be wrong.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You buy what "looks like" a good deal for a used one..Then you find out that certain years you can't get bushings for it. Then if you're fussy, you'll find out soon enough that you "got what you paid for".

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Dont quote me on this, but can you not get a new factory cat clutch from ebay.. Uncalibrated but under 400 to your door? All youd have to do is swap in your springs and weights.. Like said, i could be wrong.
Yes you can but… the op is from Canada. Taxes and exchange make it costly to buy anything out of the US right now. An uncalibrated clutch is $711.00 before taxes to buy in Canada. Thats just going by a 96 580 efi ett online parts fiche.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So...I know nothing about engines except my mechanic is taking me for a ride...I guess I need a primary clutch, but instead of him getting one I've decided to look nyself. I found a fairly cheap clutch for a 1995 zrt 600, but I have a 1996 zrt 600. Is it compatible? Please help

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went through this and the problem I ran into is mine the inner bushing were gone and couldn't be replaced I was lucky enough to find a very good used one changed my spring and back on the trail but I looked all over and made calls all around to find the clutch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
New2ArcticCat
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing