Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just talked to my dealer this morning and he let me know that his rep told him that the new 950cc A/C powered twin cylinder quad will be at the spring dealer show. That should shut up the Cam Am guy's for a little while. :devil_angry:
Personally I have NO use for a quad of that size but I do think it is pretty cool none the less. I am just waiting for the H1 with fuel injection. Thats what I want.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i could see it in a prowler but an atv? useless

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I've heard similar news from a reliable source! :thumbsup: Supposedly, AC even has several of the 950CC engines out in "test" quads right now!! Guess time will tell!! I would imagine the price tag on a quad that size would be in excess of $10,000!! surrend

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wonderful NY, aint we special?

I think this is a possibility and here's why.

AC concentrates on reliable, strongly built machines. If you take a big motor and gear it properly, reduce it's overall top end and just concentrate on torque, this could be an amazing work horse. The ability to tow, use a blade and other implements similar to large garden or small compact tractors while still being trailable would make this a very unique ATV. We all know that ATV's to date are not nearly as capable as replacements for our small tractors as the manufacturers would have us believe so this motor in a new chassis might just do it, in spades.

Here's some other things that I would expect.
  • Overall weight in excess of 800lbs due primarily to a stronger built frame and possibly the addition of quick attachment points for front and rear implements.
  • TRV style frame to use the existing accessories for that machine.
  • A rear differential with both open and locked options.
Again, my speculation is due to what I see as the desire on Cat's part to build the ultimate ATV. Great small tractor replacement combined with a more than capable trail machine. I don't see Cat attempting to compete with Can-Am with this machine but then again, it wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I wont believe this untill i see it :lol: it would be sweet if they did this i would like to add one to my barn :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sure!... now they'll make the TRV that I really want, (after crossing over to Can-am), probably gonna be EFI too. ;)

I'l bet the Outty 800 will still be faster, I dunno but who really needs to do 78mph anyway, (Not me).

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreatWhiteHunter @ Feb 3 2007, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wonderful NY, aint we special?

I think this is a possibility and here's why.

AC concentrates on reliable, strongly built machines. If you take a big motor and gear it properly, reduce it's overall top end and just concentrate on torque, this could be an amazing work horse. The ability to tow, use a blade and other implements similar to large garden or small compact tractors while still being trailable would make this a very unique ATV. We all know that ATV's to date are not nearly as capable as replacements for our small tractors as the manufacturers would have us believe so this motor in a new chassis might just do it, in spades.

Here's some other things that I would expect.
  • Overall weight in excess of 800lbs due primarily to a stronger built frame and possibly the addition of quick attachment points for front and rear implements.
  • TRV style frame to use the existing accessories for that machine.
  • A rear differential with both open and locked options.
Again, my speculation is due to what I see as the desire on Cat's part to build the ultimate ATV. Great small tractor replacement combined with a more than capable trail machine. I don't see Cat attempting to compete with Can-Am with this machine but then again, it wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong.[/b]

Do you not think that the 700 diesel would be a far more suitable for farm applications? If there's such a thing as a 950, I'd suspect that it would be conceived to be a performance statement to run head to head against the CanAm hot rods as well as deliver the usual Arctic Cat qualities.

I wonder if they'll be using a tuned for torque Suzuki V-Strom 1000 V twin efi engine?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I can't see any ATV used for farming applications as in that environment they are good for little more than transportation. There isn't an ATV made today or will there be one in the foreseeable future that can compete in any task that a full sized tractor can handle.

The environment that I see this brutus of an ATV in is the private land owner that has some jobs to do and would like a more do it all machine. The perfect machine for hauling a load of firewood, smoothing a gravel drive, tilling a small garden and mowing large areas, All things that we do with our utility ATV's now but in very limited fashion.

My machine is a good example. Even though it's built for work it still can't pull as much as a small diesel garden tractor. This is mainly due to the weight, My machine is significantly lighter and makes much less torque than the tractor that I'm comparing it to. And, more weight and lower torque just makes it slower and less targeted towards trail riding at all. Hence the need for a larger motor. Maintain the current trailability and offer more power where it's needed.

As for the V-Strom engine, I can only hope that this will happen! As an owner of one of these bikes I'm here to tell you that motor is amazing! It's also HUGE! Much larger physically than the 1000cc Rotax (now 800cc in the Bombs) that is used in sleds. That doesn't mean that it couldn't be done of course.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would like to see an ATV with a PTO, or a small hydraulic pump...Just think of all the possibilitys of what you could attach to it! Post hole diggers/ ice augers, hydraulic plow blades, lift mechanisms, rototillers, mowers, winches, ect.-ect. Ohhh! I'm getting a stiffie! -Craig

·
Registered
434 Posts
I know this is not about the supposed 950. Which just my two cents here would be totally useless.I am suprised the the diesel engine is not going into the prowler.After another soso report from dirtwheels saying that the prowler needs more work i do not know have nevere been in one.I would also find it hard to believe that the 950 would be coming out at the same time as the much anticipated diesel engine just my two cents not trying to offend.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Minnesota is another state that says anything over 800cc isnt an ATV anymore. I was hoping for an 800V2

·
Registered
429 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mud dude @ Feb 4 2007, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know this is not about the supposed 950. Which just my two cents here would be totally useless.I am suprised the the diesel engine is not going into the prowler.After another soso report from dirtwheels saying that the prowler needs more work i do not know have nevere been in one.I would also find it hard to believe that the 950 would be coming out at the same time as the much anticipated diesel engine just my two cents not trying to offend.[/b]
Don't think that the two new engines coming out at the same time isn't possible or a good idea. If AC is building a 950, either from scratch or based on an existing Suzuki engine that's all they have to concentrate on. Don't forget, Roush did all the work on the diesel, including fitting into the existing TRV chassis. Since these two machines will be, theoretically, targetted at two different markets (military and civilian) it makes sense that this could be a very good move on AC's part.

·
Registered
429 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Feb 4 2007, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Minnesota is another state that says anything over 800cc isnt an ATV anymore. I was hoping for an 800V2[/b]
I'm really hoping that this move is one step closer to street legal ATV's here in the US. I can't tell you how many conversations that I've had lately with others that believe this is the next step for manufacturers. Registered as 4 wheeled motorcycles that would allow those of us with motorcycle licenses to register these new machines for the road and get twice as much value out of them. This would also cure the issus with counties/towns that do not allow ATV's on the roads. If it's a legal, road going vehicle, there's no issue (as long as the rider is properly licensed and the machine properly registered of course).

AC (via Massey Ferguson), Polaris, Yamaha and several Chinese manufacturers already deliver street legal ATV's to European countries, so this is just a matter of legalities here in the states.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Arctic Cat sells ATVs in many states, provinces, and countries. So if only one state outlaws ATVs with engines bigger than a certain size, how is that going to prevent Arctic Cat from selling them in all the other states, provinces and countries all over the world?

They'll still make profit from all the other places.

Bombardier made a snowmobile recently that was a 1200cc 4 stroke V-Twin. It was 'top-heavy'... To improve the CoG, they used a 46" ski stance instead of the usual 43". Stance is the center of one ski to the center of the other. The actual overall width of the sled was 52+/- inches when measuring the outside to outside ski width. One of the states has a law regulating the overall width of snowmobiles to not be greater than 48". Guess what Bombardier did? They offered that sled everywhere else except for that state. Cat can do the same if their product doesn't meet local vehicle regulations.

There are lots of things on the market that are not legal here or in other states, provinces & countries. But guess what? The rest of the world where these products are allowed still generates profit. So the manufacturers offer their products where it is allowed.

So laws against a product in only one little area or two isn't going to prevent a manufacturer from offering the product in the areas where the product is perfectly legal.

I would love to see more powerful ATVs, my next one will have a bigger motor or the old one will have to do. Even though I'm an advocate of large motors and large power, and even though I've heard the 950cc rumour before... I won't believe it until I can go to my dealer and see one on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
429 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Feb 5 2007, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So laws against a product in only one little area or two isn't going to prevent a manufacturer from offering the product in the areas where the product is perfectly legal.[/b]
Did someone say that this was a reason that AC wouldn't make a machine like this? I'm not sure I understand why you're so verbose on this point.

I think we're all in agreement that this would be a good idea and merely hope to be able to benefit by it in our own way. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreatWhiteHunter @ Feb 5 2007, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Feb 5 2007, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So laws against a product in only one little area or two isn't going to prevent a manufacturer from offering the product in the areas where the product is perfectly legal.[/b]
Did someone say that this was a reason that AC wouldn't make a machine like this? I'm not sure I understand why you're so verbose on this point.

I think we're all in agreement that this would be a good idea and merely hope to be able to benefit by it in our own way. :beer_cheers:
[/b][/quote]
So a machine over 800cc cannot be considered an ATV anymore in certain states. What is it considered then? A ORV?
In MN this could actually be better as I believe in 2008 ATV's can no longer use the trails in the National Forests, but ORV's can. Go figure.

So, maybe this is not a bad thing if it wouldn't be considered an ATV? There seems to be some grey area in the definition. It doesn't say what the vehicle is classifed as if it is over 800cc but under 1500 pounds.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreatWhiteHunter @ Feb 5 2007, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did someone say that this was a reason that AC wouldn't make a machine like this?[/b]
Yes, maybe not in the exact words... ATVs over 800ccs not to be sold in state(s) is mentioned a few posts up. And it's almost always mentioned in threads when larger than 800cc engines are discussed.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
last year my dealer was telling me that there wasn't even a catagory for the prowler in ny, so no orv section i guess yet.

as for the "few" states not able to reg. them i don't know if the dealers would be able to sell them due to the fact that they technally in ny have to be reg. to ride on your own property i was reading last year. unless like two stroke machines that are "race ready" for closed course only.

in my eyes when your marketing a product you want as many people to buy the product, not limited amount or areas.

guess we will wait and see!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts