Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 zr 580
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I recently purchased my first snowmobile, a 1995 zr 580. The first ride I took it for about ten minutes into the ride, it started slipping the belt and had a bog. We took it to my buddies house and replaced the belt with a brand new one, at first it worked amazing, then about 5 minutes later it started slipping again. So we cleaned the carbs and jets and it ran good for about 20 minutes then started bogging again. After that we replaced fuel pump and fuel filter, it ran amazing for one day then the same thing started happening. It starts perfect(1 or two pulls) idles great, and runs great until it warms up. It also hasn't slipped the belt since we replaced the fuel pump and filter, just has the bog. I took a look at the spark plugs after it started the bog and they seemed to be light brown and white dry. I have videos and pictures of the spark plugs and the bog itself I also did a test for the spark that I have on video, spark seemed to be good light blue. I was hoping someone would be able to help me figure this out, as I really really want to get out to ride and ice fish. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1995 zr 580
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, once it cools down for a while it will run great again till it's warm.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
That is sounding a lot like a failing stator. It runs fine and tests fine when cold, but once it gets fully heat soaked the windings expand and can short out causing electrical output to drop. What you describe are classic signs. See if you can track down Stator Kev on the site here for rebuilding your stator as the aftermarket ones don't seem to have a good rep. Use the search function to find more threads on stator problems.

·
Registered
1995 zr 580
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is sounding a lot like a failing stator. It runs fine and tests fine when cold, but once it gets fully heat soaked the windings expand and can short out causing electrical output to drop. What you describe are classic signs. See if you can track down Stator Kev on the site here for rebuilding your stator as the aftermarket ones don't seem to have a good rep. Use the search function to find more threads on stator problems.
I'll check that out, thank you very much for the advice.

·
Registered
1995 zr 580
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I tested my stator today. The readings were
151 ohms for red/white to black/white
16.8 ohms for red/white to black/red
And .6 ohms for lighting coil yellow to yellow
I read on another thread that the readings should be 160 17 and .22 for lighting coil, is it bad that my lighting coil tested at .6 oms? I also took the readings when the sled was cold. When it started to bog today, it also seemed to slip the belt a little bit as I can see belt residue on the primary clutch. I also threw the choke on halfway when it started to bog to see if it was running lean, it wasn't, the sled just killed. I also found a small leak of something from the exhaust manifold on the mag side, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'll check that out, thank you very much for the advice.
To nail diagnosing the Stator, Get familiar with testing it with your multi-meter, [get the specs, find the connector, etc.]. You can do an ohm test when it gets hot and quits, you can also do voltage tests [AC ] as outlined in the service manual. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress. BTW, I have a Kevin rewound stator in my Pantera, he did it last year for me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
So I tested my stator today. The readings were
151 ohms for red/white to black/white
16.8 ohms for red/white to black/red
And .6 ohms for lighting coil yellow to yellow
I read on another thread that the readings should be 160 17 and .22 for lighting coil, is it bad that my lighting coil tested at .6 oms? I also took the readings when the sled was cold. When it started to bog today, it also seemed to slip the belt a little bit as I can see belt residue on the primary clutch. I also threw the choke on halfway when it started to bog to see if it was running lean, it wasn't, the sled just killed. I also found a small leak of something from the exhaust manifold on the mag side, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Your readings look good to me, now test it when it dies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts