Registered
12,573 Posts
Post a picture of your primary clutch. I want to see the cover plate

Reactions: Ryan2005

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Here’s the primary Catman. Also took the secondary off…came off easy. Will clean it up tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,573 Posts

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Same puller. If you do pull your clutch make a tool to compress clutch to remove cover. Way nicer to check rollers, weights and spring. I made this simple one for when I do mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Ok here’s the secondary. Actually looks pretty decent. The spring is definately a white spring. And it’s tensioned on hole tighter than middle. The rollers have a bit of play, one is a bit worse than the others. Maybe 1/16” to 3/32” of play. All spin relatively easy. Is this within tolerance?

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Oh and interesting, that helix is the 53 degree helix instead of the standard 49 degree. How would that affect belt squeeze?

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
There's 3 choices of helixes. Also, the white spring is a lighter spring @ 58 lbs. This is for over 4000' altitude. It's no wonder it's in a tighter hole. It's too light! As far as the rollers, they seem loose to me but for the life of me I can't remember what mine were like when I had mine apart last November.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
There's 3 choices of helixes. Also, the white spring is a lighter spring @ 58 lbs. This is for over 4000' altitude. It's no wonder it's in a tighter hole. It's too light! As far as the rollers, they seem loose to me but for the life of me I can't remember what mine were like when I had mine apart last November.
Ya 100%. So probably should go with yellow spring to Increase belt tension. Or from what I’ve read going with the 45 degree helix would also increase the belt tension. Which is better for hauling…does it make a difference?

·
Registered
40 Posts
That helix is stock on the puma.
Parts look up

IMO, the rollers are too loose but still more effective than the stock button type plate.

I agree with 660 on the spring. Considering the load you are towing I would put a yellow spring in the hole you took this one out of and I would use the helix you have. One change at a time. Springs are cheap; helix not so much. The correct spring right now is the most important; remember it provides both compressional and tortional forces on this clutch.

Three shims look correct. You can remove one of these to correct belt deflection once you have a new belt, if need be.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Agreed ^^^^^

·
Registered
151 Posts
53 helix is pretty common on these and I don't think that's your issue. I would use a yellow secondary in the middle hole and start with that. I didn't watch this videos but the rollers are usually loose so I wouldn't concern yourself with that.. definitely wouldn't cause slipping anyway.
I've never made a tool to remove primary covers, it's definitely not something that is necessary. And if you don't have a puller you can remove the cover and take out the weights with the clutch still on the machine. I'd definitely want to check your weights and probably put new bushings in them regardless. The pin/bolt for the weight can sometimes wear also and will swing the weight to the side. The rollers in the spider are a wear part also. It's good to inspect them and if they're ok blow them out with compressed air. You can clean the clutch face by running the engine with no belt and use a scotchbrite pad on the spinning sheeves. I'd say most of your problem is probably from the weak secondary spring but I'd still inspect the primary clutch, it is a wear item but an inspection and maintenance can go a long ways if you do it before irreparable damage happens.
I'd just buy a puller, if you're going to have snowmobiles for a while it is money well spent. Cat green puller will work for all these 9 towers and also the new 6 towers up til the metric change in 2010, so mid 90"s sleds to 2009. My puller gets used alot.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I’ve got three Cat pullers that get used. Older one not so much anymore. I prefer to remove clutch as I have read a few posts where clutch was never taken off and had become seized on the crank. Guys have had to cut them off. Same with secondary. I remove mine every couple of years for sure. I don’t put a lot of miles on my sleds. At my age one prefers to work on them at bench height.

Reactions: GUnit111

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
53 helix is pretty common on these and I don't think that's your issue. I would use a yellow secondary in the middle hole and start with that. I didn't watch this videos but the rollers are usually loose so I wouldn't concern yourself with that.. definitely wouldn't cause slipping anyway.
I've never made a tool to remove primary covers, it's definitely not something that is necessary. And if you don't have a puller you can remove the cover and take out the weights with the clutch still on the machine. I'd definitely want to check your weights and probably put new bushings in them regardless. The pin/bolt for the weight can sometimes wear also and will swing the weight to the side. The rollers in the spider are a wear part also. It's good to inspect them and if they're ok blow them out with compressed air. You can clean the clutch face by running the engine with no belt and use a scotchbrite pad on the spinning sheeves. I'd say most of your problem is probably from the weak secondary spring but I'd still inspect the primary clutch, it is a wear item but an inspection and maintenance can go a long ways if you do it before irreparable damage happens.
I'd just buy a puller, if you're going to have snowmobiles for a while it is money well spent. Cat green puller will work for all these 9 towers and also the new 6 towers up til the metric change in 2010, so mid 90"s sleds to 2009. My puller gets used alot.
Thanks MN! I’ve got a yellow spring in order as well as some rollers. I figured while I have it apart might as well replace. I also ordered a puller and have been putting penetrating oil on the drive shaft. I notice the sheaves are kinda glazed, probably from belt slipping. Will scotchbrite pad help get this off? Or would steel wool be the better option?

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Although some guys use steel wool, the scotchbrite pads are recommended more often. If you use steel wool, use 0000. I have washed mine in the dishwasher afterwards. Yes, the dishwasher. Don't tell my wife though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Although some guys use steel wool, the scotchbrite pads are recommended more often. If you use steel wool, use 0000. I have washed mine in the dishwasher afterwards. Yes, the dishwasher. Don't tell my wife though.
The dishwasher!!! Awesome!! If my wife catches me with my clutch in the dishwasher…😬

41 - 58 of 58 Posts