Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has 95 mtn cat 580 136" EFI. He was wondering what the intended lug was. Right now it has a 1" lug and thats it. I wished it had more but he wants to know what the origin track was. He uses that as his powder sled and he gets stuck all the time. He never gets his F5 sno pro stuck though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am not sure 100% on the '95 but I have a '96 EXT Efi Mtn Cat It came with a 1 1/4" x 136" track and yeah it got stuck alot so I changed the track to a 2" x 136" you have to put 8 lug drivers on so that the track will clear the heat exchanger but it really helps to have the 2"

·
Registered
106 Posts
95 and 96 are the same. You can put up to a 1&3/4 track under there with no mods. I have a 2 inch under my 95 and put the front heat exchanger in the rear. Later on, most people were shaving down the front exchanger or using smaller drivers.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it did come with a 1 1/4 in lug?

So the old guy who had it before him must have swapped it out, i guess. So i guess he will be getting a new track in the next couple of weeks. and it sucks for me cuz i gotta help him change it!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a 95 PS that came new with a 1 1/4 track. I think there was also a standard 95 EXT EFI Mnt Cat. If I remember right, they may have come stock with a 1" wave track. I put the 2" track and 8 inch drivers on mine as well and it made a big difference.

Edit: 8 tooth drivers, not 8" drivers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 95 PS EXT that came with 1 1/4" x 136" track. Thanks to a broken jackshaft it now has a 1 3/4 inch Yamaha track under it with no modifications. Hope that helps ya!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a '95 EXT EFI mountain cat that (I believe) has the stock 1.75" X 136" track. Brownsleisureworld.com lists two different '95 EXT - mtn cat and mtn cat deep lug. I believe I have the deep lug model.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can anyone offer more info on these 8" drivers? I'm looking in the recreational supply catalog and on brown's and am not finding drivers listed by inches - I see teeth, of course pitch...but I'm not seeing anything that is 8". I do see some outside diameter specs, but again nothing I'm seeing is 8".

Thanks! (I found a 2" paddle track for this - used - but don't want to buy it without knowing all involed in swapping it in)
95 EXT EFI Mountain Cat

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you put a 2 inch lug track in this model of sled you will have to get more clearance between the front cooler and the track. The easiest is to go with a smaller set of drive wheels. If you count the drive teeth on the existing machine you will probably find they are 9 tooth. Going to an 8 tooth results in a smaller diameter providing more clearance. Get someone with experience in changing the drivers who has access to a press. Carefully mark the existing location of the drive wheels to ensure the new ones go on the same maintaining the centre to centre distance and side spacing so the track does not rub on one side of the tunnel.

The maximum you can run on the stock drivers is a 1 and 3/4 lug.

Also remember going down one tooth on your drivers gives you a lower final drive ratio resulting in a lower top end. If anything that will improve the climbing capability of the 580.

You mentioned a 144 track. If that is the route you are going using a 144 x 15 x 1 & 3/4 saves a lot of work and will be as much track as that 580 can pull.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ok - 8 tooth not 8 inch - making sense now!

Anyone know of sleds that feature these smaller sprockets that I could watch ebay for?

thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
It's not that expensive to have the dealer install 8 Tooth drivers on your original drive shaft. The dealers will make sure that they are the correct distance apart as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts