Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steppin into a ZR700 stock (just got the machine for $400), and plan on fixin it up some with a little performance upgrading. Does anyone have any info on clutching, jetting, gearing, piping to help me in the right dirrection and save a little trial and error money. I am a ditch banger, trail runner in hilly twisty forest covered area of Northwestern Ontario and do very little lake running or open fields.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I had a black magic clutch kit on my 94 700, it engaged really high but when it took off it was a rocket. As for trail riding on bumps, suspension wasn't the greatest- If you can put a newer skid in it with more travel- do it! :D I put way heavier springs in the rear to help it from blowing the shocks & bottoming out so bad (I'm 6'/ 250lbs also). It helped to a degree but was really stiff on the rough/ big moguled trails. Good luck with it, they made some good power when set up right. :thumbsup: --Snotty 440

·
Registered
473 Posts
do some searches on here for setup, there are a lot of guys with good opinions on the older and newer 700 engines. Based on the price I'm assuming you have the older version (1994-1995), which is actually setup pretty well stock - twin pipes, gearing are great, you may want to do some clutch tweaking based on riding style, stock jetting of 420 mains is certainly fat, but be cautious as you go down.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would recommend doing a search in this forum on AGLT front end. There is also a topic on upgrading front suspensions pinned to the front of this forum which has a lot of info on the AGLT upgrade. I just upgraded my 94 ZR700 with it and can't wait to get it out on the trail. I put a post up with pictures last night. It gives you over 13 inches of front suspension travel. I would also recommend looking at upgrading to a newer rear suspension. I put an M-10 in mine but there are also other options from new Arctic cat machines.

Basically, the ZR700 makes plenty of power (mine is stock) but on the trails I found that I got really beat up last year. Look at the suspension upgrades first and performance second unless the trails you ride are flat. JMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts