Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

My gooseneck is pretty much completely snapped off at this point. I have tried plastic weld material that just gets destroyed from the gas fumes. I have been searching all summer long for someone who has a tank and who isn't trying to sell it for $400....

I have a totaled 95 ZR 580 efi 121" that I took apart and kept the good parts. The tank is in great shape, the only issue is it is EFI and has a fuel pump in it. I am about ready to just swap this over onto my 94 and dill a hole for the fuel line and just cap off the top with some sheet metal and the gasket. Will this work? will this tank fit?

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
The reason you had no luck with the plastic weld material is its some kind of plastic. You need HDPE plastic which is what the tank is made of. ( High-density polyethylene) You need to just fuse it back together with a wood burning/engraving tool. I have done this with great success. They do make an insert but are costly too. If you don't want to fool with the melting then maybe just get another tank as you stated.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
I have not tried to fix snowmobile tanks but have tried and failed with garden equipment tanks. I had a tiller tank I tried welding and used parts of the tank that I could cut off. I swear that the fuel affected the tank enough that is could not be welded properly. I had a weed wacker too that would not weld but I chalked that up to having mixed fuel in it. BTW, I used to work in a bumper recycling facility that rebuilt plastic bumpers so I knew what I was doing. I never ever let the pump rest on tank.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got this stuff that said it was for gas tanks some yellow stick and used a soldering iron with a flat tip to melt. It melts great and was super strong for a day then came back and it was gooey and soft. I did not let the pump rest on the neck when filling, this gas tank had a crack in the neck when the sled was given to me. I tried my best with epoxy but last year it got so bad it was leaking everywhere.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
If you have no choice but to weld it, get yourself some polyethylene welding rods. You can find online. It is one of the easiest plastics to weld. There are websites that can give you more info on better welding techniques. Not to say yours are not lol. It’s in a bad spot so top notch welding is crucial.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you have no choice but to weld it, get yourself some polyethylene welding rods. You can find online. It is one of the easiest plastics to weld. There are websites that can give you more info on better welding techniques. Not to say yours are not lol. It’s in a bad spot so top notch welding is crucial.
Good afternoon,

My gooseneck is pretty much completely snapped off at this point. I have tried plastic weld material that just gets destroyed from the gas fumes. I have been searching all summer long for someone who has a tank and who isn't trying to sell it for $400....

I have a totaled 95 ZR 580 efi 121" that I took apart and kept the good parts. The tank is in great shape, the only issue is it is EFI and has a fuel pump in it. I am about ready to just swap this over onto my 94 and dill a hole for the fuel line and just cap off the top with some sheet metal and the gasket. Will this work? will this tank fit?
I would just use the EFI tank and leave the pump in it, just cap the lines. I don't have a 94 tank to look at but I have a couple of 99's one EFI and one not, they both have the bung in the front for the fuel line but the EFI tank has a plug in the hole.

·
Administrator
19,845 Posts
Get some of this, and find some pvc piping that is just slightly thicker than inner diameter of filler neck.

Cut section about 1/2” longer than filler neck is tall, carefully reduce outer diameter to produce a very slight “drag” as insert is inserted into filler neck (very light/slight “drag”)

Cover outer surface of pvc insert with compound shown in photo, add some of the compound to inside walls of filler neck, insert pvc sleeve UNTIL it’s about 1/4” BELOW filler neck top edge (this puts bottom portion approx 1/2” to 3/4” deeper than necks base), acting as a fuel level filling HEIGHT gauge, to avoid fuel levels from being in constant contact with necks base contact point when not riding or trailering. This prolongs the 3M compounds strength/effectiveness.

Did this on my son’s 440 snopro years ago. Worked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
You won't have to drill a hole in your other tank. Like mentioned, the hole's already there, just have to remove the plastic plug (threaded). If it was me, I would unscrew the plastic collar, remove the fuel pump, make a plastic "lid" to cover the hold, and screw the plastic collar back on to secure it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I am just going to swap the tanks. I was trying to sell the other tank but now I am glad it never sold. I did check it last night and there is already a hole drilled and plugged for the fuel supply. I am going to check it out this weekend but I think this may work out for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As C-note stated an inner sleeve will work. On my 01 T-cat I used the cap from a can of carb cleaner that fit perfect inside the filler neck and a fuel resistant two part epoxy for plastic that I got at Auto Zone. It's been holding for years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts