Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My belt rides about 1/8in above sheave maybe slight less but still above it. The belt seems to have alot of slack, more the the specified 1- 1 1/4 inch. Seems maye like 3-4 inches almost. I can pull belt off without rotating clutches.... Thinkin about shimmin motor quite abit more forward and try a 020 slightly wider belt the my stock 012.

Will this loose of a belt cause it to bog badly low end but kick ass above like 25ish mph and 5k rpms. Like if im in deep snow bos badly for a longer period then if i was on hard packed trail...Trail kicks in quicker...but still boggy til like you get moving some.....

seems to be slightly worse when you ride it for a few. First start it, its boggy on low end but not as bad...

On the stand...It revs great everytime....No bog on stand...Runs decently on stand for sure...

·
Registered
54 Posts
1/8 of an inch above the secondary sounds right. On my 94 I have never checked the slack but I can't pull the belt off without spinning my clutch. If you can I think there's something wrong. Have you verified you have the correct belt?

As far as the bogging goes a slack belt would likely cause a low end bog. If there's too much slack the geometry of the clutches won't work right. The primary clutch won't catch the belt at the smallest inside diameter. The belt will immediately slide up on the primary resulting in a higher track speed for a given rpm, also a higher track speed than designed for at lowest speed/take off. Once the engine catches up the sled will probably run fine. I would be surprised if there weren't some belt smoking going on in this condition, also you'll probably run through belts quick.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
0627-012 is a stock belt for it. Gonna try another belt size the 020 is slightly wider. Also rode it like this prolly 150 miles so far and havent smelled burnin rubber smell....But then again its only 150 miles.

But what you said about the clutches shiftin makes sense...Its basically shiftin into high speed from a stop, bsacially like startin a car in 3rd gear..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any other ideas about the belt and clutch...I dont know much about the upshifting and postioning on the clutches were belts should ride at low end and high end...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just read a few of your other posts on this sled and boggin the other night. What Id suggest is getting a new primary clutch spring. On my zr 580 I had the exact same problems with low end and low speed bogging. I even rebuilt the motor with no help. Im into vintage john deere sleds also and read on a john deere forum about someone having simiilar trouble on a deere sled and they found it to be a broken primary spring. I figured what the heck at this point and got a new cat spring. I pulled clutch apart and it wasnt broken but replaced it anyway. Sure enough after doing this all the bog problems were gone. I guess even if they dont break they can get weak and it lets the primary engage before engine is in the right rpm range and it has to catch up. I went through alot of greif for something as cheap as a spring.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
checked spring. wasnt broke. Seems like deflection is more then i could shim motor out to get back to spec. The primary(drive) clutch spring is suppose to be Yellow/Green stock... IT has a Orangeish spring....

The secondary(driven clutch) has a yellow spring which is stock.

Now is it poss. that the primary clutch off the crank be open to far to start with?? Belt isnt that old and its not stretched. Seems i would have to shim the rear motor mount like a 3/4 of an inch to get it back to good....just wondering how the belt should sit inside the primary and how far it should close... Seems to spin out quick and fully closed once you hit 4600 rpms roughly..

anyone have pics of their primary drive clutch to see if maybe something is wrong...I bought sled with motor out.....hopefully someone didnt swap clutch with something else....

·
Registered
154 Posts
There is definately too much slack if you can take it off without rotating the clutches. The belts position in the primary should not affect deflection. Make sure it is the right belt, and do a search on belt deflection on here, there are a lot of threads already dealing with this. You very well could have a spring problem, wrong or broken however in either one of the clutches that could be aggravating the bog problem and as things heat up they can change how they operate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its the right belt from arctic cat. Just wondering, cuz i bought sled with motor in a box, maybe the primary clutch is different then stock like off another sled??????? Maybe smaller diameter center????
someone with a 94-95 zr700 can take a pic of it, i would apprecaite it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok update.....the zr580 has a red spring.........the one in mine is orangeish red...could be red little faded......

mine is suppose to be yellow/green...

heres a chart of specs for springs...

What does the 2 different 2-9/16's and 1 5/16's mean......I see the red spring is wayyyyy lower then the yellow green one.....does this also mean has less tension and the primary is upshifting to early???

i know i still have slack but just coverin all my basics..

Clutch Information (PRIMARY Spring)

Brand Color Rate @ 2-9/16" //// Rate @ 1-5/16"

Arctic Cat RED/BLUE 53 224
SILVER 72 /// 188
RED 74 /// 228
YELOWL/GREEN 114 /// 267
PURPLE 121 /// 240
YELLOW/WHITE 122 /// 285
ORANGE/WHITE 143 /// 290

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
put on new motor mount, shimmed it and took whole motor out and adjusted float levels.......still the same low end bog so i said *$(# it and went to cat dealer after doin some measuring....Came up with a 020 belt is a tad wider, but that didnt solve it, still the same maybe a little better....So i decided to buy a 028 which is a t660 belt. Its about 1 1/2 in shorter and same width as a 020......Mine calls for a 0627-012 which is a tad skinnier... Now the spring was adjusted all the way to the last hole....

Well long story short the T660 belt fits snug, so said ill try it......Took it for a rip, PULLS hard off line, like hard, no bog at all....but come to stop and sled wants to lurch foward and squeling a little. So i added my shims back into the secondary sheave and took out motor mount shim and no doesnt lurch forward and seems to be not squeling. Rode it for like an hour today and gonna see if it stretchs a little....But low end is awesome....

But now that its a little to snug it seems to rev high before it upshifts and seems like it its in lower ratio little longer but rips off line hard....NO MORE LOW END BOG...
Also adjusted spring back to the lowest postion and helped with the lurchin and tight belt but maybe a tad to tight still but idles now..

SO anyone know of a belt that in between these

0627-012 arctic cat 1994 zr700 47 3/4" x 1 3/8"
0627-028 arctic cat 2004 T660 46 1/4" x 1 13/32"

i want to see about a belt thats like 46 3/4" by 1 13/32
or maybe like a 46 1/4" x 1 3/8" doesnt matter brand or what its for as long as its that size range.....To maybe get it to lower rpms a tad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts