Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys

new here, im told this is the place to be for arctic cats. i just picked up a 94 EXT 580 with EFI. the problem is it wont rev past 3000-4000 rpm's, if i'm real easy with the throttle. if i play with it i can get it to 6000-7000 rpm's, then it wouldnt idle down until i shut it off. i was told it was probably the throttle sensor switch, so i unplugged it and crossed the middle female post and the male post on the engine side of the wire, is ran but no change. i just found out the guy that had it before me rolled it upside down, rode it home that night, after that he started having the problem. i dont know if that would have anything to do with it or not. any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
Check your air box for a restriction of air flow check for engine compression,spark plugs, battery voltage. Ensure fresh fuel also check fuel filter. I hope this helps if not it will give you a reason to go too the garage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i n ever thought about the air box, i will check that. the compression is good, i was told the plugs are new(i think i will replace just to be sure), the battery seems to hold a charge but i havent checked the voltage, what should it be? i will try new fuel, the gas in it has been since last winter and i was told the only fuel filter is the screen on the pick up tube in the gas tank. do you think rolling it over had anything to do with it?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Battery voltage has to be above 12.6 should be 13+ v. I dont know how the roll over could effect it but strange things happen. check your coolant temp sensor could be unpluged or failed if the ecm thinks the coolant is cold it will add fuel to keep the engine running.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I havent worked on one of those for a while but it should be around the thermostat some where to test you will need an ohmn meter and specs from a service manual

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have the she same problem but differnt mine will take off and then when at full throttle for aliitle bit will shut down to 3000 rpms ive been asking around and i have found out that it is my stator so i am going to try that and cross my fingers.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tazjamin @ Sep 25 2007, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i have the she same problem but differnt mine will take off and then when at full throttle for aliitle bit will shut down to 3000 rpms ive been asking around and i have found out that it is my stator so i am going to try that and cross my fingers.[/b]
Make sure you have bypassed the Throttle Safety Switch (TSS) first, before ripping into your stator. Make sure to do the simple, and free stuff first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts