Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 93 arctic cat 440 jag long track. just wondering about top speed. what would be the average top end speed for this sled? also what about gas mileage. what would be an average mph. the tank holds about 6 gallons. thanks from newfoundland canada.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I had a friend with a 93 jag short track. I think he hit 90 on the speedometer on a long icy road with studs. Normally it wouldn't do over 75 or 80 on snow.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey, Yea I used to have one my self! topped end is about 90- and 95 mph on a good day, about 15' and on ice, or really packed snow. I dont really know about Gas mileage but just giving you my my2cents!!

Looking for 2004 Firecat F6 SP, or EXT, EFI
PM ME!!

The Buck Stops Here!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can only get a top speed of 50 mph. the motor has been rebuilt but i don't know when. what can i do, if anything to make this faster? also i only get about 55 miles on a tank (6 gallons) of gas. any help is much appreciated. [attachment=62413:100_2390.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
A 95 Jag 440 will top out at 74mph. 1 mile run on hard pack, verified by radar. (this is a single carb 440F/C)

If you're only getting 50 out of it, and it otherwise seems to be running fine, I would guess your clutches need to be serviced. Something may be "sticking" and not letting the sled shift out all the way.

The mileage you're getting seems low, but not unreasonable. It will vary with riding style, but I think 15mpg is more of the norm for this motor.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sometimes you guys crack me up. You need to take a grain of salt with the old Mechanical speedometers (dreamometer), They were way off. There is no way that a 440 fan cooled jag is oing to go 90 mph much less a long tracked one... Even with a good porting job they are only going to put out arround 48-50hp :sledder:

·
Registered
603 Posts
My 91 Jag special (thats the twin carbed 440) never saw over 85 on hard packed roads.
I would bank on about 70 with the single carb and a long runway.
My mileage was down to 10 mpg before a new belt and clutch servicing. Then it went back up to 15-20 depending on riding style.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone for your input. much appreciated. as far as the clutch goes, it has about 250 miles on it. brand new out of the box clutch. this machine has great low end power, but was just wondering on top speed. on my speedometer it has a red line after 50 anywho, so maybe i'm not far off...lol. it just feels like it's almost governed. like something is holding it back. thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tallcanadian @ Jan 31 2007, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i can only get a top speed of 50 mph. the motor has been rebuilt but i don't know when. what can i do, if anything to make this faster? also i only get about 55 miles on a tank (6 gallons) of gas. any help is much appreciated. [attachment=62413:100_2390.JPG][/b]

Unhook the trailer :tongue_nana: that will get you over 50 mph

My 92 jag 440 short track fan goes 70 tops in snow if its really cold. I had it at 90 once on an ice covered road going down hill for a mile at WOT haha

Most the time in typical conditions it goes 60-65 on packed trail.

Single carb.

But the gas milage is unreal. I fill up my ZRT 600 and the Jag 440.. drive the same distance, refill.. and the ZRT took 13 dollars of gas to refill, and the jag took 4 dollars.. HAHA

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yep, I had a 1992 Jag Deluxe. Loved that sled. You could throw it around great in powder. Just got to hating everyone else passing me on the open stretches. :angry:

According to the speedo on my Jag, on a cold day, I got 73 mph out of it. On a warm day, I was pushing for 63mph. I'm also only 110lbs too. Or at least then I was 100lbs so the sled had nothing for weight on it. My dad had the 1992 Prowler 440 twin liquid cooled and that top end with me on it did 92mph.

Both of these sleds were stock. Nothing had been altered what so ever so I kind of have to wonder how a Jag would get around 90mph myself. Unless there were some modifications to the motor somehow, then maybe I guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow. my engine is twin carbed and i only get 50mph out of it. :stop_nono: and that is with the trailer off. maybe i'll try again with a strong tail wind..lol..thanks guys for the input. now tell me how i can make this machine faster..lol

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wicked King @ Feb 1 2007, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A 95 Jag 440 will top out at 74mph. 1 mile run on hard pack, verified by radar. (this is a single carb 440F/C)

If you're only getting 50 out of it, and it otherwise seems to be running fine, I would guess your clutches need to be serviced. Something may be "sticking" and not letting the sled shift out all the way.

The mileage you're getting seems low, but not unreasonable. It will vary with riding style, but I think 15mpg is more of the norm for this motor.[/b]
gospel

or overreving (new clutch may not be calibrated correct)

12-15 range is avg

just for giggles, adding 1 size larger main than stock drops 4-5 mph on gun,, anybody wanna' go 1 leaner than stock?

·
Registered
203 Posts
haha some interesting responses on here no stock jag will pull over 80-85mph... trust me

my sled has been ported, polished, blueprinted and completly balanced, also while it was being refreshed i got OEM pistons and a new 9 tower primary sled is supposed to be right around 52-56hp ( guy who did motor does 40-50 of these 431cc suzukis for micro sprint racing each year), stock jag dual carb was right around 40-45 i believe and the single carb i dont even know what hp your looking at...., the best ive got my sled up to is 87mph on gps.... thats after the motor had the work done... before the motor work it was around 80-82mph.....

you sled because its long track annnd single carb is probably going to run anywhere around 65mph that track is reallly going to sled you down and your only a single carb model....\

also before i refreashened the motor i was running 260 mains... C-note

1 - 19 of 19 Posts