Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First snowmobile, and it's a project. I just bought a new choke cable and set it, however I am not sure how to confirm it is set correctly. The issue I am having now is it won't start easily. Normally I will pull the cord, see the headlight brighten and then dim as it would when it is trying to start. I was finally able to get it started tonight on full choke and starting fluid, however it would not stay running unless I gave it throttle. The second I let off the throttle it dies. What do you think the issue is? Hoping I can fix it soon, the snow is coming and I would like to ride!

Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
So are you saying it was running correctly before the new choke cable? and now its not?
If so, it sounds like the choke is still on. Usually you adjust the choke cable so there is a slight amount of play/slack in the choke lever.

p.s. If it were me, I would not use starting fluid to force an engine to start. If everything is set up correctly, it should start without any help. Using the starting fluid will not fix anything.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
X2 on the starting fluid. Check to make sure carb(s) are clean

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So are you saying it was running correctly before the new choke cable? and now its not?
If so, it sounds like the choke is still on. Usually you adjust the choke cable so there is a slight amount of play/slack in the choke lever.

p.s. If it were me, I would not use starting fluid to force an engine to start. If everything is set up correctly, it should start without any help. Using the starting fluid will not fix anything.
Well, I was able to start it with the old choke, however it wasn't as easy as I would think it should be. I also had to use the throttle to keep it going when it first started, then I was able to release the throttle and it was able to idle. I believe I have the new chokes set correctly? I have that 1/8" play in the lever they talk about and I tried my best to adjust the choke barrels to the same amount. Not sure what the problem is? Are my chokes still not adjusted correctly or do I have another problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
X2 on the starting fluid. Check to make sure carb(s) are clean
So, I has "cleaned" the carbs to the extent of spraying carb cleaner through the jet passages and visibly dirty areas. Do I need to be more thorough? Is there spots I could have missed that would affect it to this point? Also, the flathead of one of the jets broke off on one side, so how do you go about removing that jet? I'm hoping I don't have to pull the carbs again... tight little space to cram those things into.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Never had the issue of a broken jet. Maybe drill and use an EZ out jets themselves might be partially or fully plugged. They need to be clean.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
As 660catman said, try a drill or EZ out to get that jet out and replace. And yes, they need to be squeaky clean. Spraying carb cleaner in them is ok for pre-season maintenance, but if they are really dirty or gummed up, then all the jets need to come out and the carb body and jets need to be soaked in carb cleaner (*or see below) over night, then all jets and passages in the carb body need to be blown out with compressed air. If the jets are super dirty, sometimes you need to use torch tip cleaners to push gently through the jets, to clean them out. But I have never had to do that and I've cleaned some very dirty carbs before. * I use Pine Sol to clean carbs, thats right, Pine Sol. Its environmentally friendly, it smells great, it rejuvenates rubber parts, its inexpensive, easy to find and it works. Here's where I got the idea and instructions:

If you go the Pine Sol route, I have some tips:
  • Only use regular flavored Pine Sol
  • Use gloves. It dries your skin out like crazy
  • After soaking, blow out with compressed air, wash with warm water, dry and then apply WD40 to all parts
  • Don't soak the slides or parts that are chrome plated. Totally safe for carb bodies and jets though.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just a thought; Is your throttle cable out of adjustment? If it's stretched, when you let off the throttle it's setting off the safety system to shut the engine down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts