Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My '93 Cougar is up and running, ready for the snow, however, the speedometer is not working. This is my first snowmobile, so I have no idea where to start.

How do I troubleshoot this issue? Any step-by-step instructions (this helps me alot!) on how to fix this? Lastly, is there any other potential issues that can arise by not fixing it, other than not having a funtional speedo?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Under the secondary clutch you will see speedometer cable going into the drive adapter. Remove the 3 nuts and look for a short 2" steel cable. They usually break. It's number 11 in picture.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Under the secondary clutch you will see speedometer cable going into the drive adapter. Remove the 3 nuts and look for a short 2" steel cable. They usually break. It's number 11 in picture.

Thank you! Now, the secondary clutch is the clutch that drives the track, not coming from the engine, correct? Do I have to remove the clutch to service this part? Is it as simple as removing the bolts, taking that part off and putting a new one on? Any measurements/anything need to be made? Thank you!

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Yes on the clutch. No you don't have to remove it if you think you have enough room to work in there. On rare occasions it is the drive adapter #9 in picture that can seize up. Common cause for that short cable to break is a bad bearing in behind. If bearing is good it's a simple cable replacement as long as you leave bolts in tunnel.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
When you remove the speedo cover, have a good look at that bearing behind it. A common symptom of that bearing being shot, is the speedo not working. Especially if you find that small 2 inch cable laying there and nothing wrong with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts