Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 92 Jag 440. Last weekend we were out riding and 2 exhaust studs fell out which meant i lost an exhaust gasket. Did it ever get loud after that point. Put 2 new gaskets in and its back to normal. My problem is that it idles at about 3000rpm not, I think it should be down to 1000-1200 right? How do I adjust it. Is it the the big screw with a slot in them on each side of the carb? Other than that the sled runs mint. Any help would be great!

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
its the the big brass screw in the center of the carb. on the right side looking at it while sitting
on your seat or the side by your oil tank. ha,ha
hope it helps

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks alot. Should I screw both them right in and then unscrew them a certain amount?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. I wanted to tune this sled up, what things so I do to it, This thing is my first cat I baught it for a back up or for friends to ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
if it aint broke dont fix. but you could get new plugs,fuel pump,fuel lines,new belt,check
throttle and choke cables,clean the carb two or three times.how does yours go,mine
goes like a bitch for a little 440.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was looking to get a little more jam out of my Pantera 440 as well would you recomend the same? new plugs,fuel pump,fuel lines,new belt,check throttle and choke cables,clean the carb two or three times.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Easy procedure I use as a quick baseline carb adjustment.

Adjustment of idle screws (large brass screw with visible spring)
1) Reach down and put a finger on the carb slide
2) Back out (lefty loosey) the big brass idle screw most of the way.
3) Turn the screw in until you feel the slide just start to move (lightly seated)
4) Open the throttle and turn the screw in 1-1/2 turns
5) repeat for the other side.

Air screws small brass screw (apx 1/2 the diameter of idle screw)
1) Turn the screw in until it lightly seats.
2) Back it out 1-1/2 turns
3) repeat for the other carb.

Set your idle by adjusting both idle screws the same amount.

There are a few other fine tunning adjustments you can check with choke cables, throttle cable slack and carb slide sync if you want to go futher into it. Just ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts