Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys having some issues with my 92 EXT 550 special. It’s a carbed motor and ran great....until it didn’t. I bought the sled back in November and it started up fine and idled out. So I did some preventative cleaning of the carbs, new fuel filter, cleaned fuel tank and new fuel lines. Sled would start up on the second pull every time if it was cold and seemed to rev out fine.

Took the sled out 3 different times with no issues then on the last trip started to notice a problem. We took off up to the UP in December and the sled started perfectly the night before our trip. Loaded it upon the trailer and took off the next morning. The next day when we pulled out the sled it wouldn’t start. So I figured I just flooded it. Took out the plugs and let them dry and let the cylinders dry up. After 10 mins she fired right up and no more problems that day.

Once we got back from the trip we went to unload the sleds the next day and now it won’t start no matter what. I’ve got crisp blue spark on all the plugs I’ve put in. Tried hitting it with starting fluid and pouring some gas in the cylinders but still no luck. Checked the compression and got 60 lbs both cylinders. So my question is could this be a reed issue? Does this motor even have reeds??? Or is it time for new rings??

Thanks for reading this novel and thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Either you have a really bad compression tester or a really bad motor. If 60 is correct it will not start. How much oil did you use on the trips? No reeds on this motor. Pull exhaust Y pipe and look at pistons for scoring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll do that. The UP trip we did about 100 miles and I didn’t have to add any oil but it’s down to the narrow part of the container.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
So that's 3-4" down then?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Try another compression tester to confirm the 60 psi.
If it really is 60 then she gone! Will need a top end rebuild. Rings and a hone at minimum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It does sound like your compression is the issue, but double check for sure.

My sons 92 550 carb had a similar no start/hard starting issue. It was impossible to start, and would die at idle. Then one day it just wouldn't start anymore. Checked compression and it was OK. It was getting fuel and it showed spark. I ended up swapping the coil from my 98 and it started on the first pull! The coil was weak. It had spark out of the cylinder, but once in and under compression it wouldn't spark. With a new coil the sled ran the best it had since we owned it. Throttle response was great and it started on the second pull in -15 temps. Just something else to consider

1 - 10 of 10 Posts