Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
First time posting over here...been lurking over in the ATV section for a while though. I normally run old Doos...had a few old Cats in the bunch too.

I picked up a 92 EXT (550L/C) last spring for a real decent price. Got two problems with it after I gave it a pre-season tune-up.

I pulled the carbs off and cleaned the crud out of em, replaced all the fuel lines, and a leaking coolant reservoir hose.
I did spill some coolant onto the CDI box and pickup coil while fixing the lines...but I did hit it and the wiring harness plugs in the area with some contact cleaner and an air hose to get the green juice off of them.
After all this, I've got no spark.
I did have spark before I started all this fun though.

Next problem is some butchered wiring...
The seller (a friend of mine who bought it new after we finished college, so I kinda know the sled's history) had lost the key a few years ago and just jumpered the brown & black wires off the stator harness with a toggle switch. Doing this, he got a little crazy with the wire cutters so I've got a mess to clean up...
He did use it this way for a few seasons then it sat for the last couple years. I did fire it up to drive it on the trailer, so I know the bypass system still works.
With this extra switch jumped in at the stator harness, I'm thinking that the TSS system should be bypassed completely. That should eliminate it as a suspect in my no spark problem.
I've read through the sticky post on how to troubleshoot/fix the TSS system...and I'm planning on bypassing it anyway since my eventual plan is to stuff this 550 into an older sled.

Does anyone know where I can find a complete wiring diagram for the sled so I can straighten out the rat nest and get everything back in order?
I've got a Clymer manual that has the chassis diagram for a 93 EXT (which looks like it traces out the same as my 92), but no stator harness diagram so I am getting lost at the 4-pin connector for the stator (which is where the toggle switch has been cobbled into place).

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. PM on it's way.

This was originally supposed to be a replacement "fishing sled" for my old 82 Ski-Doo Everest, but after I bought it I've been getting the itch to build another "Franken-sled".
I've got a really nice old Rupp body with no engine, some heat exchangers from an old Blizzard, and a beat-up Cat that (should) run great. I know it would be easier to stick a newer fanner in the Rupp but I've done the L/C conversion thing on old sleds before so I know it can be done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts