Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,first post .i am redoing a eng swap into a 89 ext......engine is in all hooked up (92 wild cat 700)....some mods to base plate etc,but now here is my snag...........engine starts fine,warms up fine idles good,but smokey(lots actually,found oil leaking from base of jugs,torgued base bolts to 50/fts/lbs,prob not as bad,but still there,(leaking),should i go higher on the torgue,or pull it apart again and redo the gaskets?

plugs are wet,oil seen in the exhaust ports,

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Do not over tighten the base nuts! If it is leaking then the gaskets are not sealing and you should not run the engine. Remove the cylinders and make sure the mating surfaces are clean and smooth. Use some gasket sealer, RTV silicone, or areosol type, on both sides of the gaskets and reinstall the cylinders and torque to spec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice,thats what i will be doing the weekend..............lots of snow here up in northern alberta,and sure would be nice to get back on the trials,with my ulgy sleeper......lol.....had to cut a huge hole in the hood to allow the pipes to fit.......lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
In my limited experience silicone does not go good with gasoline. use one or the other. In your case do not use silicone use only the gasket they are cheap. I believe that engine has individual heads which means dont take the head off and save buying the expensive head gaskets or o-rings if you like.If memory serves me right those geskets are reusable 2or3 times. Look at the gasket and you will know one is paper thin the other is diffrent material and thicker.good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts