Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problems with the motor cutting out. Sometimes it seems like it is related to hitting bumps. Other times, it isn't. I seems to happen once in awhile while burping the throttle off of idle. Mostly happens at WOT. Basically sounds like someone is turning the key then back on again really fast. I was thinking of bypassing the E-switch and throttle switches with the bypass plug. I have a Jag AFS service manual and it shows nothing about the magnetic swithes on the carbs. Anyone know much about those and how they are hooked into the system. What should i do to eliminate those as being a problem, and if they were a problem, when would it occur, WOT, or burping throttle. Thanks for any help you could give.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I just installed a new 440 engine into my boss's 91 Jag. Before this it ran intermittent. Down where the harness comes out of the Stator and the CDI box there is a single wire plug. This plug was giving a bad connection. I tightened up the connections and away it went. There is no carb safety switch on these carbs. A couple of years a go it did this. He did not have spring hooked up that pulls the hood cable out of the way when you close the hood. Well when he closed the hood the wire would lay on top of the motor. Hit a bump and motor would cut out. I discovered this one day when I had the motor running, I closed the hood and it cut out. Open hood and it ran. Turns out the cable was touching the spark plug and gound out. Sometimes a loose ground is all it takes to aggravate a person.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just actually put a new spring on the hood cable. I didn't have one on since i've had the sled. Was doing this same problem last year with out the spring, and still with the spring. So i don't think that is it. Someone along the way put on a tether cord switch. I'm gonna take that off so i know that has nothing to do with it. I may just take those carb swithes off too, but i'd like to know for sure that they are the problem first. Any other ideas folks?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Dealer replaced my throtle safety switch and fixed the same problem I was having a few years ago.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, i was thinking about replacing that as well, but it's something like 130 bucks and i also just put on a new set of Hot Grips handlebar heaters, so i'd hate to have to take them back off. I think i may just jumper that plug for now, and see if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, i figured it out. Made a jumper plug out of a trailer wiring connector. Jumpered the handle bar safety switches, and the engine missing is gone. Runs like a champ. So my guess is that the throttle swithes are bad even though the jumper eliminates the carb switches, e-switch, and throttle switches. The ignition switch and tether switch are still in the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 92 wildcat and it was doing the same thing all I did was take the connector between the carbs and throttle and diconnected it put in two wires to complete the loop on the throttle safety part of the connector and taped them up and I still have my e-stop, ignition switch the only thing I lose is my throttle safety.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts