Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a 91 El Tigre EXT that has been stored for a few years. I replaced the belt with a new identical belt and now it creeps forward when it idles (at about 1500rpm). I don't know much about (ok anything) about clutches but from reading some other posts, I am guessing that I might need to change the setting on the secondary to a different hole? Will this work? Is it easy to move it from the current hole (there are 5 and it is in the middle) to a different hole?

Thanks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
That sled shouldnt engage until around 3200 with a red spring in the drive clutch. I think the yellow/green drive spring ups the engagement 400 rpm or so. First of all, make sure you have the correct belt. The correct belt might be a different belt than the one that was on it during storage. Then it could be a number of things but I would first off start with the drive clutch. I would have someone look over the comet clutch to make sure it has the correct weights, etc. or may need servicing.
The secondary should be more for mid range shifting and top end rpms. each hole should make about a 200 rpm difference on the top end RPMs. I think that should be around 7800 or so.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My 89 el tigre would creep forward just a bit with a brand new belt. The bottom of the belt would rub just slightly on the primary shaft while at idle until the belt had about 50 miles on it. Then no more creeping.

·
Registered
477 Posts
that could be the answer. I was using 14 year old knowledge since I owned that sled.
I do know that the drive clutches do need rebuilding from time to time, the weight bushings and the buttons wear and will not run true.

Good luck, that was a great sled. It won the I-500 in 1990 with Kirk Hibbert aboard.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll start with the easier option of putting a few miles on this belt to see if it makes a difference. I have not put very many miles on the sled since I got it and need to find out if there are any other problems.

A friend mentioned that the belt should be sitting flush with the top of the secondary clutch is this true? This new belt sticks up about 1/8 of an inch.

I'll post an update after putting on some miles as soon as it warms up a little.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My belts for that sled sat flush with the top or just a bit higher. Never quite a quarter inch. Maybe more like 1/8" Stretch the belt with a few miles and check it again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With a new belt, my EXT tries to inch forward as well. It sits maybe 1/8" above flush in the secondary. I'm running a red spring in the primary. Changing the holes in the secondary is pretty easy, but I doubt that's the problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A creeping sled is due to the belt deflection adjustment being too tight. Only way to fix that is to add a shim in the secondary to put the sheaves further apart, letting the belt fall further in. My 91 jag afs special does the same thing, but i'm gonna run it for a bit first to break in the new belt and then see what i have. Changing the spring tension on the secondary by putting it in a different hole will only change the shifting pattern of the secondary while under way, nothing at idle. Loosening one hole, lowwers top speed rpm approximatly 100 rpm's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to put 10 or 15 miles on the sled yesterday and already it is making a difference. Before trying anything else I will definitely put a few more miles on it.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts