Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1M 900 with 1600 miles and i have replaced the clutch and the last mountain trip i was on a piston skirt broke off ending my ride a day early. awsome sled when running but why cant they build stuff to last? i bought this sled new , and have kept right up on the preventative maintanence end of keeping everything like new. Any comments on what kind of pistons a guy would be better off using. :devil_angry:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like i will be taking the crank out to to clean the case from piston debree. So would you recomend getting this crank welded. Does anyone think one brand of piston is better than anouther? EG.is wiseco better than suzuki?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would stay with OEM Suzuki Pistons, ANd being the Season is just about Over, WHen you get the New Pistons Send them out to Swain Tech Coatings to have em Coated. My Bud did his on his 800, 8,750 Miles ago with Case and Head Porting. Still has 142lbs of Compression on each cylinder.
ZR

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
has anyone ever been told that the piston skirt cracking on the intake side is caused by snow(moisture) getting through the air box and contacting the piston. I have less than 1000 miles on these pistons. The moisture is what caused the piston failure. I sure have a tough time believing this. I have checked it out a little more and found that i have a hole in the front side of the case. It doesnt look like a cheap fix.

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zr800o1le @ Apr 9 2007, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would stay with OEM Suzuki Pistons, ANd being the Season is just about Over, WHen you get the New Pistons Send them out to Swain Tech Coatings to have em Coated. My Bud did his on his 800, 8,750 Miles ago with Case and Head Porting. Still has 142lbs of Compression on each cylinder.
ZR[/b]

I have ran both OEM and Wiseco, In a nicasil bore, Wiseco's perform very well, better than the OEM, in my opinion,
You just have to warm them up properly. Wiseco's are a forged piston that have different characteristics than a cast piston. They warm up inconsistently varying in size until operating temp is achieved, That is why they cold seize, you must allow at least another .0015 of clearance or it will "stick".
Wiseco knows this and if you "size a Wiseco compared to a OEM, the wiseco is just a "squeak" smaller to allow for what I just said.

I have been a Snowmobile mechanic for 20 years and I have never seen any issue's with a Wiseco that I have seen with OEM, (cracked piston skirts, dowel pin in the ring land of the piston pushing in to allow the rings to turn and hook a transfer port, top of the piston "flaking" off.) I have seen the above many times with a OEM piston.
Also, you are asking for trouble if you run a OEM piston more than 3500 miles. my2cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts