Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anybody knows where i can find a seat for this machine , the sled is in really good condition (better now) i rescued from an old barn a few monthes ago. Also What would be a the best track for this sled for deep snow , this track isn't bad (1800miles on it ) but hardly a profile to mention ! Any info , would be greatly apprieciated. Thank you in advance Idigem

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
There is a sled salvage yard in Wisconsin that sells on e-bay. He had a few seats listed for that Jag a while back. His e-bay store is "AAA Rooster Hahn's AAA" He's can be a bit or a grouch but has a ton of vintage sled parts.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Track choices are pretty thin for the AFS. They are 116" tracks and not much else used 'em so not much to choose from. The best bet for you since you ride deep snow is a suspension swap to maybe a 136". Then you would have alot more track choices. I have a '90 AFS also, if you do happen to swap out the track, post the other up for sale here, I might be interested, mine is getting a little worn.

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate the information guys, i'm going to check that link . The track issue certainly needs some kind of modification but i don't about this year , you see i bought the sled for my son he's 16 tall about 140, so this sled fit's him well (1st sled) He better take care of it , lol, but i know he going to be wack'n on it , and the track that is on it will not toleratemuch of his type of riding, a 136" suspension swap would be perfect, any suggestions ?? a buddy of mine has a ski doo frame complete , but i'd like to do as little mods as possiable this little Jag is in mint condition If anyone knows of a suspension that requires very few mods ....Let me know , thanks and cheers Snopilot and Snotcicles :thumbsup: :beer_cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
One other thing you could look into is rail extensions. You might have to have some custom fabricated for you, or maybe you'll be lucky enough that you can find some ones that exist already. The jag AFS also came in a longtrack version so you could try salvage yards for a used skid or if you have a Cat dealer close by, see what it would take to convert yours over. Might only be just swapping out the rails themselves. Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:beer_cheers: Happy New Year All !! :beer_cheers: Yes i'm already trying to track down some lt rear skids , maybe even score a track , thanks for all of your input .....Sincerely IDigem ...... Have a safe new year !!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for all your input , i've purchased a complete rear skid from a 96 600 ZRT , and just need to get a track now , thinking about the camoplast agressor 1.25 inch ....If i Get 'R' Done, i'll post the finished completed skid .....Thanks again ......John. Come on SNOW!!! :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad to see you found a suspension! I also have a '90 Jag AFS, which I have fitted with a suspension from a '91 JagLT.

I had just completed re-building the original, and wanted to replace the track as it was in rough shape. New tracks were $500 and up, so I while checking Royal Distributing on prices, found a 156" blemished + discontinued track for $150. Found the '91 suspension a month later and traded the old one + another $20. The new front and rear springs, shock, bearings and idlers all fit, and I re-used the original far rear springs (for the articulating section).

The sled is mostly used for hauling gear, wood, etc. to the cottage, and a little fishing/fun riding. Reversed the track, and just added some wide skins this year (no snow yet to try those yet). Amazing how it floats on top of deep snow. Still tweaking the suspension, but all in all, a great upgrade. Just have to fit in a reverse kit, and will be all set.

Here is the first pic after installing it:

You can also see another in my sig. Good luck on the upgrade! :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey dkmk , that's looks like a real nice fit!!! wow , nice work , however i jumped the gun on that 600 zrt suspension, it's a mess , buy the time i would get to rebuilding it , geesh i'd have a fortune invested , now i don't mind 3 4 5 hundred bucks , and then buying a track , but the rails where even worne out , also bent , etc etc ,, but nice pic and thanks for your response , i just have to keep looking , i don't really want to hang the rear that much , even a 121" or a 136" is what i'm hoping to find , if anybody knows . please gimme a shout ...ty John (IDigem) SNOW NOW PLZ Not worthy: badcomputer

·
Registered
480 Posts
ok, I was out in the garage over this past weekend and I started looking over the rear suspension. Take a look at the back idlers, it looks like you could unbolt the entire rear axel and slide it back a little and re-bolt them, then you could put larger diameter idlers on the rear pivot attachment point. (upper idlers) It seems like this would give you enough for a 121" track, since you only need to take up half the distance. 2 1/2"? The only thing else is, do 121" tracks have the same center to center distance between left and right windows. pitch is the same at 2.52, I know center to center on the 116" is 7 1/2". Probably the same but never measured.

BTW, is any of this helping you with the seat that this thread was origanally started for? LOL Sorry, no snow around here so it's garage riding for me and yakin on the puter.

·
Registered
199 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Snotcicles @ Jan 8 2007, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ok, I was out in the garage over this past weekend and I started looking over the rear suspension. Take a look at the back idlers, it looks like you could unbolt the entire rear axel and slide it back a little and re-bolt them, then you could put larger diameter idlers on the rear pivot attachment point. (upper idlers) It seems like this would give you enough for a 121" track, since you only need to take up half the distance. 2 1/2"? The only thing else is, do 121" tracks have the same center to center distance between left and right windows. pitch is the same at 2.52, I know center to center on the 116" is 7 1/2". Probably the same but never measured.

BTW, is any of this helping you with the seat that this thread was origanally started for? LOL Sorry, no snow around here so it's garage riding for me and yakin on the puter.[/b]
You're basically stuck with the 116" track unless you swap skids and change the drivers due to the wider rail center (8 5/8" maybe?) on virtually all other common tracks. Cat made a few Mountain Cat models in the same era that had a 131" long track with the narrow centers, but they didn't have any taller lugs.

I had a brand new seat exactly like you need, but I sold it on eBay this fall. I think my dealer (Country Cat) had a nice used one on eBay a couple days ago- search for seller catbargains. There are many years and models that fit the same, but just have different covers- compare the part numbers of the seat bases between models in question to see what will interchange.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your information BIG, and nice pic , nice sled , looks like a blast, however, i have a gentleman reupholstering the seat , with superior materials, going to silk screen the cat name on it too!! I'm just going to make the stock set up last for the winter , then come spring "find a deal", and get at it , want to do it right or not at all !!, this is such a fun sled to ride :super_happy: , maybe even find some pipes for it etc , clutch it , but need to pick the guy's minds who know about all of that . What are your ideas experience about say>> 96 zl rear skid << into this Jag ? even if i have so much to even lower the drive shaft to run 1.25 " lug , either way i have lots of research to do first, bang your head just really needs a little better suspension in the rear. I was even contemplating finding a whole doaner sled with front suspension pieces as well (95-96-97 zrt - zl ext) something in that area. Again thanks for your comments :beer_cheers: Sincerely IDig'em

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Seat is all done , i'm going to post some pics, awesome job on the seat i'm very pleased , i just need to get the "arctic cat " silk screened back on the sides of seat, but seeing we dumped on last night i doubt it ,, thanks for all the info Guy's , :beer_cheers: i should have started a new thread for rear skid * sorry* but , ummmm, i think i'm going to just find a 136" rear if i'm going to change/mod anything back there, ...geesh you know snoticles that might be worth a try , just need to pick more peoples brains , i hand 121 would be great but deep snow here (i know sled is light) ,but a little longer would be even nicer for all traction / floatation etc, because the sled is what it is , so to speak , my only concern is .... that well too long rear skid , i'll be buring the nose ( too much floatation in the ass). So if i'm going to upgrade the rear i want to really find balance, then just bang it out properly/ for the dollars/time spent , a new thread may help with more members /sled doctors involved!! will post some pics Thanks again IDigem

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a couple of pics with the seat installed and re-upholstered, this ole fella did and awesome job and for 75 bucks !!! the original foam was cracked open , just after the fuel tank and that spot in front of the trunk, he repaired all of that and put 2 layers of "air bag" matierial there , lil extra padding , just an awesome job ( he's been at it for 50 yrs ) << can't beat experience can you!!! ..... again awesome site thanks for everybody's input DIG. :beer_cheers: p.s was going to silk screen the cat name on , but we had snow so , next time .... dis regaurd the excavator wrong pic

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts