Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's sled. He wants to make this 440 as close to a 440Z as he can with dual carbs and clutch work of course. First thing I told him would be a tach. I have found one on Ebay but not sure how it connects. Is it driven by a speedo cable or is it electronic? While replacing the throttle cable I cam across a clump of severed wires in the handle bar. Would this be for a Tac?

John

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on the tach but I think my dad's 89 Cougar was electric.

That being said why not find a early 90s Jag Z, or even better an early (94?) ZR or Z 440? You would get AWS and the goodies your talking about.

I know what you son is thinking though, I'm not to far removed from the "lets make it just like X" mentality. The problem I had was I ended up sinking more money into what ever I was working on and could have bought what I really wanted in the end. :p

K

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had the same sled and did the same upgrade for it. The tach is electrical and there is an availble plug in the harness of the jag. I ended up purchasing a tach for a cougar for the same year. The hardest problem of the install will be cutting a round hole in the sheet metal bezal on the tank.

I can't give you any more details than that it was about 10 years when I had that sled.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts