Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a "new to me" 2011 AC 550 TRV and my older age eyes isn't as good as it should be. Especially at night time (when coming back from long haul bush trails).

Was thinking of upgrading Low Beam factory 881 Halogen bulbs with 80W 881 LED bulbs. re: "2 X 80W LED Headlight Bulbs For Arctic Cat ATV 1000 400 500 550 650 700 # 0409-055" -> from eBay.ca

Any experience with 881 LEDs in Low beams? Is 80W too much or should I buy the 100W bulbs instead? And/or keep factory High Beams as Halogen bulbs?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Low beams are normally 35w and high are 55w. Bulb design is reflector dependant. So if the led design isnt headlight specific then the reflective patter will be poor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I would bite the bullet price wize and just get a HID Kit. Their remarkably bright and worth the price.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Google search keeps showing factory 881 Halogen bulbs as 27 Watts. And, online AC parts sheet keep showing PN 0409-055 in all 4 light assemblies. Very strange.

Good AC LED bulb upgrade video of 881 LED bulbs at _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiVvFlFvCqg
_https://www.youtube.com/embed/z5rfdDRO6AY?rel=0 -> see 80W light comparison at end of video.

If wondering, I bought 2 x LED 881 bulbs (as mentioned in my opening post). Being in high north region, it will take 6-8 weeks for them to land at my remote location. Thus, I won't be able to test until this late summer / early fall. But... Will keep you posted on my before and after comparisons.

If wondering, I have H4 LEDs in my snowmobile (to replace its factory H4 Halogen bulbs) and love them. Will give 881 LED bulbs a try in my AC ATV as well.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I installed LED replacements from headlightexperts.com in both low and high beam. They work well and beam pattern is good. They are also much brighter then stock. 800 series will replace both low and high beam side.

I did use HID's in the machine before, but I found the cheap Ebay kits kept blowing ballasts. The older kits I had on my 2007 machine worked well and lasted, only thing is HID lights do not like any moisture in the lens housing.

Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Based on people's feedback and lots of online research, I ordered 2 different brands of 881 LED bulbs. re:

2 X 80W LED Headlight Bulbs For Arctic Cat ATV 1000 400 500 550 650 700 # 0409-055" -> from eBay.ca

2 x 100W LED Fog Driving Light Bulb 881 862 886 889 894 896 898 360° Beam White -> from eBay.ca

When they eventually arrive (in 8+ weeks for my north remote region), I will try both in Low and High beam 881 bulb sockets. Then, decide which brand works best. Will report back in the long run... If wondering, 80W are $35 set and 100W is $15 set. In all < $50 for testing different 881 LED bulbs in my 2011 ATV. Much less expensive than 4 x HIDs. And, there's no hassle of securing external boxes or worrying about spinning fans with these specific 881 LED bulbs either.

Only time will tell how good they are in the long run.... More to come....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My one set of 2 x 80 Watt bulbs arrived today. These are the one's rated for my AC TRV. So, I installed them in Low Beam and snapped a few pictures. Overall, they are much brighter than factory Halogen bulbs. Will need to perform nightly trail ride to decide how good they are in the real world. For now, see below / attached for comparison pictures.

Note: Right picture is both Low (LED) and High (Halogen) at same time. Notice the LED easily over powers the factory Halogen light.

For high beams, my current "on order" 2 x 100 watt LED bulbs should arrive in another 2-3 weeks. Thus... More to come in this area as well....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Looking straight on they look great. But what is the pattern and distance look like from the seat?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking straight on they look great. But what is the pattern and distance look like from the seat?
After installing, it sudden rained in my north woods last night. Thus, I couldn't test light beam pattern off the garage door. Hopefully, my ordered 100w LED bulbs arrive soon. I will test them (in High Beam sockets) and test the 80W LED bulbs (in low beam) light beam pattern at same time...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Based on people's feedback and lots of online research, I ordered 2 different brands of 881 LED bulbs. re:

2 X 80W LED Headlight Bulbs For Arctic Cat ATV 1000 400 500 550 650 700 # 0409-055" -> from eBay.ca

2 x 100W LED Fog Driving Light Bulb 881 862 886 889 894 896 898 360° Beam White -> from eBay.ca

When they eventually arrive (in 8+ weeks for my north remote region), I will try both in Low and High beam 881 bulb sockets. Then, decide which brand works best. Will report back in the long run... If wondering, 80W are $35 set and 100W is $15 set. In all < $50 for testing different 881 LED bulbs in my 2011 ATV. Much less expensive than 4 x HIDs. And, there's no hassle of securing external boxes or worrying about spinning fans with these specific 881 LED bulbs either.

Only time will tell how good they are in the long run.... More to come....

Are they a head light or fog light. When I try searching for 881 27w 12 volt for 0409-055 it comes up as fog lights for me and then it says not to be used as headlights. I have a 2012 trv 450. Thanks Steve

·
Registered
127 Posts
I didn't like the factory 881 bulbs and thought they were underpowered at night in the woods. All 4 were the same wattage. I replaced them with some 881 LED plug and play direct Chinese bulbs I bought off Ebay. I think they were supposed to be equivalent to 60 watts of output. Overall they're brighter and project a "cleaner" swath of illumination. I expected they would die after a year being that they were like $10 for 2, but I'm on close to 3 years of running them with no sign of dying yet. Color me impressed.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I deleted my stock headlights and switched to 2x dually D2 Rigid LED Pods, way brighter, less juice used from stator, less hassle, and they can spend all week under water and not give me a lick of trouble, these headlights have spent alot of time swimming.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did the same as the OP and got some 880 LED bulbs from Amazon for $36. I had to re-pin the headlight connector because it was the wrong polarity for the LEDs. I only put them in the high beams to see if I liked them and I really do. They do have a different beam pattern than the stock halogens but nothing bad. They are way brighter and I find myself actually turning them off once I get behind someone. I am going to get another set and put them in the low beams. I got a fanless design. I cheated though, I also have a 30" 2 row led light bar on the front rack that I can use also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts