Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate just got a 88 wildcat today for 425 bucks, the seller said that he rebuilt it recently and put in 700 pistons in. well it runs, but only strong on 1 cyl. the right one on the exhaust pipe only reads 65-70ish degree, while the other one is running 200-300deg.

Spark is beautiful blue. we cleaned out the carbs put it back in, still the same issue. even swapped the fuel line and plug wire. still the same.

So i am thinking, could it be the carbs are out of sync?

also is it possible that the right piston is not put in correctly like the wrong way?

We also tried to run only on right cyl and it did fire up. we didnt get the chance to try the left one alone. will try it tomorrow.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you manage to eliminate the possibility of your carbs being out of sync, check the compression on both cylinders. IF there is SIGNIFICANTLY lower compression on the problemed cylinder, it its possible that the head could be loose, or may need new gasket. Also check to make sure your exhaust is tight on the problem side, poor back pressure can also cause many issues.

good luck

kurt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do a compression test. My guess is piston or cylinder. Check for a glased cylinder causing the rings not to seal.
The rings could be stuck in the ring grooves on the piston, thereby not allowing them to "spring out" against the cylinder wall.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we did compression test at site before buying it, it was 130psi on left, 125psi on right.

will check the exhaust too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we just took the carbs out again and checked to see if the slides were both at the same height, and they werent. so we fixed that and puti t back in and there it went its running both cyl better. so were going to take it out tonight after pizza comes and play around with it. It has EGT installed on it with 2 probes. what should the EGT read?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts