Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this sled (1988 Cougar 500 F/C) during the summer as a shop project. I started it when I first got it, then i tore it down. I've rebiult this sled from the ground up, took a while to find all the parts.
I have the original shop manual for it and have restored everything back to specs, but it is not getting a consistant spark. I've tested the mag and pick ups, all good, tested cdi as much as it says you can, it was fine, tested coil, leads, caps and plugs, all where good.
I figured since i am getting power to the cdi it must be the coil, so I replaced the coil, leads, caps and plugs. Nothing. I figured maybe the cdi is just old and weak, so I bought a new one. Nothing. So I had my son pull the cord for me and I checked the wires to see if I had a short.
I'm getting between 9.8 to 12.9 volts (I'm assuming it is volts on the multimeter could be amps, not to sure how that all works) out of the cdi going to the coil, but and this is the kicker, once I hook up the coil it goes to 0. I have now tried this with three different complete coils, leads,caps and plug sets. I have bypass the complete wiring harness as per the manuals instructions. I have tested and retested every part as per the manuals instuctions with no luck. I am stuck, if anyone has any idea please help. It has to be something simple and that I am sure i'm look at but just not seeing. I have even tried swearing at it. I dunno

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have but at this point I'll recheck anything to try to get this beast in the snow, did I mention it is snowing here, alot.:snow:

·
Registered
870 Posts
well here in Mn it is another bust for a winter 12 sleds and I can't ride.

you can bypass all the switches by disconnecting the 4 wire plug from the stator and I believe jumping across the two non yellow wires. someone can correct me I have done this once before to try and track down a wiring issue. it will bypass all the switches. TSS, Kill, and Key. If you get it going you have to kill it by disconnecting your jumper.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I also vote TSS / kill you could probably unplug the wires going to the throttle side and plug them together its two bullet connectors halfway up the steering post that will plug together with no modification

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have bypassed the switches with the jumper, still nothing. There has to be a broken wire somewhere but for the life of me I cannot find it. Power from cdi (blue and white) until the coil is hooked up, then nothing.Disconnect the power wire and it has power. Its a closed system so the second wire coming from the coil (black and white) is just a ground. When I tested the ground with the tester it says it is connected. I've tried 3 different coils all the same result.
If I could find anther stator I would buy it just to rule that out. Is it possible to have a stator reround?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Blaine or Kev here can rewind your stator but the ground wire from the cdi should be brown. the black/white and blue/white just connect to the coil. check and see that your cdi is grounded to the chassis.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok lost me on this one. There is no brown wire coming out of the cdi.

5 wires black - cdi to key/switches

red/white - high speed coil
black/red - low speed coil(or vise versa)
black/white - ground to magneto

black/white - ground to magneto
white/blue - power to ignition coils

Wires from the magneto are as follows

red/white - high speed -cdi
black/red - low speed - cdi
black/white- ground to magneto-cdi

2 yellow wires- lights exc. - main harness
brown wire-main ground to stator plate- main harness
There is a black wire that is at the main harness, goes towards the magneto but loops back and heads to the black ground wire on the cdi.
This is why when you want to by pass the main harness you put a jumper between the brown and black wires, or as the man in the videos about stators says the two non yellows. ( I assuming they could be different colors on different sleds)

I've tested every ground wire there is on this beast with the multimeter set to the ohms continuity test. They all check out. I've tested the jumper, it's ok. Brown wire ok, black wire ok(as long as jumper is in) black/white wires to the cdi ok, black/white to the ignition coil ok.

I noticed last night there is no ground from the motor to the chassis, just for ****s and giggles I'm gonna put one on today, but I dont see what that would do. I know the motor mounts are touching the chassis and I've even tested the continuity of chassis parts to the motor. But just to say I've done it, I'll put one one.

I just dont get it, there is 12+ volts coming out of the cdi heading to the ignition coil but the second the two wires touch it goes to 0. Three different coils, 2 different cdi. This thing should be running.I dunno

·
Registered
299 Posts
Double check the kill switch and tss. Try all jumper or disconnect possibilities. Sounds like the kill is on. I just totally unplugged mine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree but the main wiring harness is not plugged, so it cannot be the safety switich, key or any of that fun stuff. There is a jumper between the black and the brown or the two non yellows, which ever floats your boat.
If it was a kill switich there would be no power coming out of the cdi.
Good try, keep it going, I know someone out there knows the secret. Thanks Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts