Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 AC Cougar, that I was running 2 years ago, it sat last year, but - I got it going enough to get it into the garage. I think I gave up on it last year, party becuase the recoil was sluggush and would not pull back in, so - part of my maintenance was to pull this apart and clean it up.

How the heck do you get the spring would back correctly? A few other recoils I do easily, but you have to know the trick. What is the trick with this job?

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Sports equipment Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spring not broken. I figured it out and asembled. Trick for the spring, worked for me just now - is put 2 nails in a board about 1/3 inch apart, use the nails to hold the center of the spring while you wind it on the board, grab and compact the spring with a pair of plyers, and insert it into the assembly catching the outside tab/catch on the lip, and slowly release and let go with the plyers - and all set.

This video of a guy doing it helped with the alignment and sequence etc.
(280) Arctic Cat recoil rebuild - YouTube

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
spring not broken. I figured it out and asembled. Trick for the spring, worked for me just now - is put 2 nails in a board about 1/3 inch apart, use the nails to hold the center of the spring while you wind it on the board, grab and compact the spring with a pair of plyers, and insert it into the assembly catching the outside tab/catch on the lip, and slowly release and let go with the plyers - and all set.

This video of a guy doing it helped with the alignment and sequence etc.
(280) Arctic Cat recoil rebuild - YouTube
Good idea. Thanks for sharing. (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts