Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only pullin 84mph on a long lake on my 03f5sp, im kinda pissed off. Its got the 1.375 track, boyeseen reeds, geared higher, and thinder shift clutch kit. Does this sound right?? Im not sure how far down the guy i bought it from went on the top gear(i think 1-3 teeth less), and i didnt check to see if its shifting out all the way yet. APV valves not opening??

·
Registered
205 Posts
Go out and pop the cover off the servo motor and check to see if the cables havent come off the spool. I bet they poped off. Motor should cycle once on stsrt up, about 2700 rpm's. Mine still pulled 103 with one tooth down on top. Dont think gearing is the immediate problem unless he did something drastic with it. What RPM's is it turning.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Mine still pulled 103 with one tooth down on top. Dont think gearing is the immediate problem unless he did something drastic with it. What RPM's is it turning.[/b]
I never ran up against any F5's (or 600's) that could touch my F5...but glad I didn't run up against yours :)

I agree, check everything above. Are you running about 8300R's on top?? Maybe your clutching isn't set up right. What gears are you running???

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im runnin obo 8100 rpms. the sled came with an extra 19 tooth top gear. Im not sure if this is stock or not. It has a thundershift clutch kit. Im geussin its a pretty crappy kit cus ive never heard of them b4 and my sled doesnt run that great. It has almost no power till about 7100 rpm. It also has some really meen back shifting. When i let off the gas it slow way down like im hittin the brakes, even when i go downhill. Its the same thing as when your on a dirtbike and shift down way 2 many gears, thats y i think its a small top gear, the track is trying 2 spin the rpms at a faster rate than normal.

·
Registered
243 Posts
try putting the secondary spring in the next tightest hole on the cover,thundershift products are pretty good,I run that kit in my thundercat,I run my f5 at 8400 rpm and it pulls 102-103 all day long,just remember you have a sno-pro,the big lug track will take away from top mph.....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (almond900 @ Jan 16 2007, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
try putting the secondary spring in the next tightest hole on the cover,thundershift products are pretty good,I run that kit in my thundercat,I run my f5 at 8400 rpm and it pulls 102-103 all day long,just remember you have a sno-pro,the big lug track will take away from top mph.....[/b]
but the backshifting is already pretty hard. The 03's r faster cus they hav the rear suspension mounted higher in the tunnel, so what gives? I might try putting on the 19 tooth it came with. How do i do it? Does the top sprocket slide right off?? I dunno

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
19 is stock, twist it 8200 early, (at 8100 rpm's, you're running out of torque at upper speeds and not reaching ''H.P peak'' for mph'ing) say the first 200-300 feet or so and finish at no higher than 8350-8400 (on digital tach setting) by fine tuning top rpm with helixes (cats stock 55/53 worked great in mine when I had it instead of the 51), this should get the max out of it stock without a lot of bullcrap,,,,, when, or if mods start,,,, throw this out the window,, just remember like cmscat50 says, don't forget the lug height's an anchor too

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot 2 say it engages at about 4300 rpm's and the acceleration isnt that great even from a rolling start. Are my valves not opening all the way? is my throttle cable screwed up? It seems about as fast as my 550f. This is getting pretty aggrivating. ... and mine doesnt hav a servo cover on it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Make sure the carbs open all the way. Some don't.

Is your chain wayyy too tight...maybe the reason for the HARD backshift??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has around 3500 miles on it now. I didnt think 2 check the throttle cables till after we left our cabin. I'll loosen the chain adjustment and change the belt this weekend if i go up. I brought it in awhile ago 2 get the updates done and have heard from some people that they adjust the fuel pump to flow even more oil in, thus making u buy more oil and plugs. I checked and replaced the plugs and they looked fine. Any word on that? How would a worn belt affect pull and speed? My track isnt tight either. I dont get it. surrend

·
Registered
205 Posts
Have you checked the cables havent come off the servo motor yet? Common problem on the 03 without the valve update.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gettin 8100 rpm tops at wot on a 2 mile lake. Is this 2 low? Is it cus of my valves are not opening all the way? Ive heard im supposed 2 be around 8600rpm. max hp is at 8500rpm and max torque is at 8400 rpm. Loosen or tighten secondary spring??

·
Registered
205 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spazr @ Jan 18 2007, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Have you checked the cables havent come off the servo motor yet? Common problem on the 03 without the valve update.[/b]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have you cheked this yet??? This is the first place to look. This will make you loose a few hundred rpm.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
In my experience with the cables come off the sled will only pull about 7800.

If you want this sled to run you have to go over the entire thing. First syncronize the APV cables. Go through the carbs.

Fuel screw 1 turn out.
Air screw 1.5 turns out.
360 mains are ok.
Check your oil ratio.

If you don't know how to do any of this you might want to talk to a dealer. Or bring it to me...ha ha.

I like to see them run 8350 RPM's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
or maybe you just dont know what you are doing. these guys are telling you what to do and all you do is repeat questions. get someone who knows what they are doing and have them help you cause what they are saying is most likely the problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts