Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellows, new to the forum and looking for a bit of info on what would you do in my situation. I've recently acquired an 81 El Tigre 6000 that I'm slowly bringing back from the dead. A couple of days ago I pulled the comet 102c clutch to see what sort of state it was in and looks like it needs a full going over (weight bushings, pivot pins, rollers, etc). Now I'm left wondering if I'm better off rebuilding the 102c or start cruising ebay for something more modern and robust? Would a 6/9 tower or P85 clutch simply bolt on and just require spring and weight tuning? If I do replace the clutch with something newer would I still be OK with the same belt as before? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
630 Posts
An '81 6000 should have come with a 108 driver on it. The 108 works with the 1 3/8" wide drive belt. The problem with rebuilding Comets (in my opinion) is the parts can add up to nearly the same or more money than a new clutch. New 108's can be bought, but they're kind of pricey.

Most 6 and 9 tower Cat drivers will interchange with the clutch on your 6000, and in my opinion are a better clutch than the 108. Not too many years ago you could buy a new uncalibrated 6 tower for less money than a 108, but Cat isn't making them any more, and parts are coming up short for them (Thank you Textron...). If you can find a good used one, it will work good on your sled and hold up better than the 108.

I don't know anything about the P85, other than some will match up to the Cat cranks and some won't. They appear to be similar to the 6 tower Cat, and by everything I've read and heard about them are a very good clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for taking the time to respond Brettm57! Not sure why my machine has the 102 and not a 108, maybe someone threw it on...I agree 100% about rebuilding the comet, it just doesn't seem to make financial sense to end up with the same mediocre clutch.

I've decided to pull the trigger and try a Polaris clutch from a mid 90's Indy 500 efi for about the same price as the comet parts were going to cost. It sure doesn't make it easy the fact that Polaris called every clutch either a P85 or P90 despite them having different roller size and taper cuts throughout the years. Looks like it already has a blue spring installed which seems like a common upgrade over the gold spring a lot of them cam from the factory with.

I'll see what I end up with when the mail man shows up with it...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts