Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the primary off my crossfire and noticed that it apears to have spun on the shaft. The taper in the clutch is galled a little and there is aluminum depostited on to the crank. Has any one ever had this issue? Any idea what would cause this? The bolt was tight and I have not touched the clutch since new. My thought here was to just clean up the surfaces with some emery or scotch brite and run it.

My second question is in regards to my PTO crank seal. I noticed a very small amount of oil around the seal area. Should I be concerned about a failing crank seal? What's a good method of testing for a failed seal? Sled barely has 1900 miles on it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
clutch spin

First there should not be any alum on the shaft as it is steel on steel unless something was smashed between the two. In that case it should be filed off. Those two surfaces should be smooth. Emery is not going to do it as it would just round the high spots off. If anything try flat and round files to clean them up. Slip on and spin the clutch without the bold and see if you can feel and catches or high spots yet before mounting.

Sounds like I would try to use warranty if that new. Have them fix the seal. That would bother me as well.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah my bad...meant steel not aluminum. I cleaned it up and reassembled.

Sled is out of warranty so no deal there. I did have the stealership pressure test the crankcase and they passed so I am not worrying about it any more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts