Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hello.

I'm looking at a 1997 ZL 440 and want to get a general feel for what these things sell for these days.

I already looked at it and the guy didn't go for my offer of 600.00, he is firm on 800.00. I didn't buy iy, but thinking of buying it now for 800.00 like he wants. It id in very good condition from what I saw, perfect seat, shiny hood, everything works, complete, just a slight crack on hood under windshield, but no big deal. It seems to have been never left outside in the sun. Track looks pretty good I wouldn't say like new for tread, but no dry rot or chunks missing. under the hood is complete, all the springs for the hood there, pipe is stock and complete, with the normal grease and dust under the hood. I believe a nice degreasing and the engine/under hood could look like new. The guy is an older gentlemen and bought it for his grandson, but proved to be too much sled for him... No paper work, but has some kind of paper from the DMV to get it registered. he didn't plan to register it, because it was just for his grandson to ride around the yard. It has the stock FX shocks and all the suspension looked good, just a loose rubber thing in the ski, no big deal I guess. It has 3,280 miles on it.

Overall I think it is a very good shape, nice seat, shiny hood, no tore graphics... and it starts with two pulls and seems to really run well. Clutch looks real clean. I have a 98 skidoo Formula Z 670, but I really like the idea of having this little 440 to just hop onto and run up to the store and stuff....some fun yard bashing and light trail riding.

So does it sound like it is worth 800? What are these going for ? 600? 500?

Thanks! nice to be here!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Welcome to ArcticChat; That sounds like a good deal to me. You could part it out and get back more than $800! They are piston port and have around 68 horsepower so it will scoot you around the yard at 85 MPH or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here it is, I get it tomorrow. I think with some cleaning in the engine department and fixing some very minor flaws, it would pass as new. Would like to find a new track, the one on it is about half worn, but not dry rotted or chunks missing. It does run sweet so I am happy about it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Nice sled you got on your hands. Always wanted to get one like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk FastCat123$&.6doozr9000

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To my disbelief I went to get it and offered once again 650 and he took it. I made a video of it today and while it needs to be cleaned up a bit and little things, it does run and look great. I noticed that the clutch engages at 4,500 RPM, seems a bit high for stock and it does have the yellow spring in the clutch, so I dunno. Probably being a 440 they need to spin faster for power. I have things to learn. Anyways, here is a really crappy video of it, with start and run. I think it was a really good deal for 650 and I am happy. Time to wash it up and fix anything wrong. Thank you.

Video link

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
WD40 will clean up the engine, front suspension, skiis and rails like new. Take the expansion chamber and the silencer box out, sandpaper them and paint with some good heat paint. I'd drill a small hole at the end of every crack to help keep them from spreading. Wax the hood and windshield and the tunnel. Put grease in all the zerks in the skid and front spindles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice tips.

It will be fun to spend the off season getting it in perfect shape. My plan is to do all you said plus inspect/replace ANYthing that is broke or worn. I don't think it will be too much. Going to go all around with the shop manual and make sure everything is within tolerances...

Really tho I don't think I'd have to do anything and just ride, but I get bothered wondering if something in there may be a little off. I'm OCD like that lol.
It has a yellow spring and I believe it's the stock spring.

I have a lot to learn, but it is quite fun to figure things out and make a cool older sled even better.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That’s how you learn things by getting your hands in there and getting a little dirty. You should get a hold of this member ( guudasitgets) and tell him what your plans are for the sled . And how much $$ your going to stick into it. He will guide you in the right direction. Real positive person. Since I seen your sled, i am starting to think about getting one . Crazy thoughts. Always like those sleds. Don’t be afraid to throw ideas or questions about things. There is a lot of good people on this forum and years of experience.

·
Registered
527 Posts
That’s how you learn things by getting your hands in there and getting a little dirty. You should get a hold of this member ( guudasitgets) and tell him what your plans are for the sled . And how much $$ your going to stick into it. He will guide you in the right direction. Real positive person. Since I seen your sled, i am starting to think about getting one . Crazy thoughts. Always like those sleds. Don’t be afraid to throw ideas or questions about things. There is a lot of good people on this forum and years of experience.

Great sled...great price! Free manuals are available from Country Cat...check’m out dude!

·
Registered
6 Posts
First off, hello.

I'm looking at a 1997 ZL 440 and want to get a general feel for what these things sell for these days.

I already looked at it and the guy didn't go for my offer of 600.00, he is firm on 800.00. I didn't buy iy, but thinking of buying it now for 800.00 like he wants. It id in very good condition from what I saw, perfect seat, shiny hood, everything works, complete, just a slight crack on hood under windshield, but no big deal. It seems to have been never left outside in the sun. Track looks pretty good I wouldn't say like new for tread, but no dry rot or chunks missing. under the hood is complete, all the springs for the hood there, pipe is stock and complete, with the normal grease and dust under the hood. I believe a nice degreasing and the engine/under hood could look like new. The guy is an older gentlemen and bought it for his grandson, but proved to be too much sled for him... No paper work, but has some kind of paper from the DMV to get it registered. he didn't plan to register it, because it was just for his grandson to ride around the yard. It has the stock FX shocks and all the suspension looked good, just a loose rubber thing in the ski, no big deal I guess. It has 3,280 miles on it.

Overall I think it is a very good shape, nice seat, shiny hood, no tore graphics... and it starts with two pulls and seems to really run well. Clutch looks real clean. I have a 98 skidoo Formula Z 670, but I really like the idea of having this little 440 to just hop onto and run up to the store and stuff....some fun yard bashing and light trail riding.

So does it sound like it is worth 800? What are these going for ? 600? 500?

Thanks! nice to be here!
I have the same sled use as a back up when we have guests. Redid the seat track and new heat exchanger love the sled. Well tell you one thing. You will not find a front heat exchanger for it. I scoured the whole country That exchanger was only used on that year and that model. From what I was told when trying to find one. Found a salvage year said they had a used one next day called me told me no it was gone. Called me back the following day told me they found a new one on the shelf. My track ripped and the stud throw it up

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is a nice find. Congrats.

I would suspect with the number of miles and the age of the sled you may need to rebuild the shocks. I have used a guy in Big Lake, MN. He is pretty well known and does excellent work for reasonable prices. The place is called The Shock Shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts