Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 80 Pantera just started idling funny the other day. It runs good above idle with no hesitation or flat spots but when it idles it suges/cuts out like it's only hitting on one cylinder. It just about dies then then runs good for a second then misses/cuts out for a second--it does this for about 5 seconds and dies, then it starts a little harder than usual. It does this hot or cold. I just bought it a couple of months ago drained the fuel, cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel lines. It's been starting and running awesome.
Any ideas what it may be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
GOOD SHOT AT HAVING SOMEONE HELP, I HAVE POSTED TWO FORUMS ON MY PANTERA AND NOTHING.
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLUM U ARE HAVEING, I CLEANED CARB REPLACED FUELPUMP AND CHECKED ALL THE WIREING. IT WONT IDEL NO MATTER WHAT I DO. WHAT DO YOU HAVE YOUR CARB SCREWS SET AT? DID U CHECK THE WIRES DOWN BY THE CDX BOX REAL GOOD THERE IS A BLACK WIRE DOWN THERE THAT AWAYS BREAKS AND WILL MAKE IT CUT OUT ON YOU. YOU PROBABLY KNOW MORE THAN ME HOW WILL IT RUN IF I NEED SEALS AND HOW DO I CHECK THAT....

·
Registered
64 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (racohoon @ Jan 28 2007, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My 80 Pantera just started idling funny the other day. It runs good above idle with no hesitation or flat spots but when it idles it suges/cuts out like it's only hitting on one cylinder. It just about dies then then runs good for a second then misses/cuts out for a second--it does this for about 5 seconds and dies, then it starts a little harder than usual. It does this hot or cold. I just bought it a couple of months ago drained the fuel, cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel lines. It's been starting and running awesome.
Any ideas what it may be?[/b]
If it runs well with throttle pressure, it could be the safety switch. Try to remove all slack from the throttle cable and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It runs great at all throttle positions, smooth acceleration no flat spots--just does not idle correctly. A better way to describe it is it's loping--like a V-8 with a big cam in it. I'll check the slack in the line and adjust it to see if it clears up.

Don't recall what I had the screw set at. I have the procedure and settings for the cab on pdf file
If you want a copy e-mail me and I will send it to you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
this is a common problem with arcticats. As stated above it has to do with the safety switch. At one point adjusting throttle cable slack did the trick, it no longer does, at this point i need to find out how to bypass the safety switch. you may also have to do this.

Good Luck

Kurt

·
Registered
93 Posts
On my 81 Pantera the throttle safety switch is at the throttle block. On your throttle lever there should be a little "tit" that hits the throttle safety switch. If you have to much slack in your cable, lever will not contact switch and it will not run properly. Over time these do go bad.
On my 81 Pantera, undo the handle bar cover and there is a white 2 wire connector at the throttle block. Can't recall color of wires. Unplug the connector and put a "jumper wire" into the connector. If you still have your original tool kit there should be a bypass plug in the kit just for this. If not, you can make a jumper by using a short piece of wire and some electrical connectors. I just usually use a piece of a cotter pin or a paper clip bent in a "u" shape. Be sure to tape it up with good with electrical tape so there are not any shorts. Hope this helps.

Remember as they say: "THIS IS FOR TROUBLESHOOTING PURPOSES ONLY."

·
Registered
480 Posts
Surging at idle is an indication of a lean condition. Try adjusting your air screw, if that has no effect, your pilot jet might be plugged. Take the carb apart, clean it real good, and see if that helps. If not, it might be a crank seal causing the lean condition. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was too much slack in the throttle cable. I tightened it up and it's idling fine now--thanks guys!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts