Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1979 Pantera 5000 for my son for $100 as a basket case. Spent another $150 getting it to run. I was sort of suprised how well it goes for such an old fan cooled sled, he actually gets around a 5' jump om my ZRT600 off the line and holds it for nearly 75' until I get enough traction to reel him in lol. I was just wondering if anybody on here knows what the actual factory hp rating was for these things?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. It seems to have just the right power to weight ratio to hook up well off the line. Anybody know about what the top speed on this thing should be? I haven't had a chance to gps it yet due to lack of snow, but guessing we've had it to at least 50mph so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Mom had one of these. As I remember, it had a lot of torque. Used to beat my Dads modified 9500 off the line also. On hard packed snow on the lake I remember seeing 80mph on the speedo. Unfortunately it burned in a fire in 1987.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
80mph should be plenty fast enough for this thing. I think I will keep it as long as it keeps running, and maybe restore it as much as possible. I think it would be a good sled for my dad to ride around once my son gets something newer. thanks for all the info. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I also have the exact same machine myself. Just picked it up a couple months back. Finally got to take her for a ride and I was extremly surprised how fast she is. Everything works and she runs great. Speedo said I was doing 80mph like another person added. I believe she was probly doing closer to 70-75 but she was a real fast one. It has amazing take off with the new clutch on her. Thinking about putting two carbs on? Too much motor for just running a single.
She would definately beat my blizzard 5500 503f/c with twin mikunis off the line but I feel the blizzard would creep back and go in for the kill. I want to put a comet clutch on the blizzard, then the pantera shouldn't stand a chance.
:beer_cheers: MATT

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think I would waste the money on a dual carb set up for the Pantera. I know back about 10 years ago, Trinity Racing (the people that build extremely fast yamaha Banshees) was selling a lot of their single carb (constant velocity kit) conversions for the twin cylinder 2 stroke quad engine. They said the twin engine actually was a lot more responsive in the lower rpm's since the single carb keeps flowing air and fuel when it's feeding 2 cylinders. If you run seperate carbs for each cylinder, the carbs airflow is interupted temporarily durin that cylinders cycle causing a pulsing action. Since the single carb is always feeding feeding one cylinder or the other, it should be maintaining the needed flow and crisper throttle response. If I were to do anything with the carb, I would just find a slightly larger one to flow more air/fuel at max rpm, but if you go to big you lose way to much bottom end torque. Clean up the porting a little bit, find some kind of tuned pipe to fit the engine, slightly bigger carb, then tune the clutches and it should really rock. Rockerdude

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks!
I want more speed but first I gotta fix it. Previous owner put new sliders on but didnt put anything to hold them on. One got caught in the track and broke the slider. So I bought another and noticed that the other (still good) is on backwards without anything securing it. :angry_mad:
Guys that touch stuff and don't no what there doing!
So I got this to work on, before I worry about speed

·
Registered
474 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matt_sledder_4evr @ Feb 5 2007, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks!
I want more speed but first I gotta fix it. Previous owner put new sliders on but didnt put anything to hold them on. One got caught in the track and broke the slider. So I bought another and noticed that the other (still good) is on backwards without anything securing it. :angry_mad:
Guys that touch stuff and don't no what there doing!
So I got this to work on, before I worry about speed
:beer_cheers: MATT[/b]

Man I feel your pain. I see more crap like this on old sleds, and you wonder how much beer they had while they were working on it. If I had a buck for every old school Cat skid I see where the hifax is installed wrong, I'd have another truck by now....

·
Registered
161 Posts
No Worries! :thumbsup:
Should have her fixed when I get some time. Just been so cold and the sliders got ice on it. Don't want to break or crack it as its still like new but want it fixed.
Too many on the go!!!!
Thanks for the relief. Guess he aint the only one whos made this mistake?

·
Registered
80 Posts
i hear you on the cold part there matt. Been so cold that my fuel pump froze up, even with a high concentration of gas line antifreeze in my fuel mix. I guess it only works when theres a certain volume of fuel?!?!? evidently small volumes of fuel, in -40 or colder are proned to freezing :cold: I dunno so hopefully tomorrow these snow squalls will give me a day off so i can bring the parts in to thaw, replace the CDI and see how she goes na na

1 - 11 of 11 Posts