Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 jag 3000 fc its a little hard to start but when she gets going runs good on full choke only. If i release choke she will bog down and die.
What do I need to adjust?:wacko:

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
First start by doing a thorough clean out of the carb. Pay special attention to the idle jet which is located just forward of the main jet (small hole inside a tube leading into the throat of the carb. Use a small wire to clean it out. I use athe wire from the inside of a bread twist tie. After you reassemble it and install it set the air mixture screw to 1.5 turns out. This is the screw that is on the side of the carb near the air inlet that you must use a screwdriver on. Last. you can adjust the idle speed once you get it going. This is the screw that you can turn with your fingers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It sounds like your carb is gummed up with varnish. This varnish builds up in the carb from evaporation of the gas and can happen in as little as a month of sitting depending on temperature. The varnish is very difficult to remove and is harder still in the small holes of the jets. The only way to remove all of it for sure is to soak all of the jets in a quality carb cleaner for several hours. But do not place any rubber, plastic or gaskets in the cleaner it will eat them. Here is a link to a carb cleaner that I use and it works well.

Berryman/Chem-Dip carburetor and parts cleaner (0996) | Carburetor Cleaner | AutoZone.com_

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I leaned the carb good last season and put it back on but did not get a chance to adjust it and run the sled do to late winter rebuild and lack of snow in Il.. I will try the adjustment and let you know how she runs. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.