Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a 76 340 Jag thats been sitting a long time. First off, I got it to run but it had no compression on the PTO side. It also clicked like hell from the bottom end. I pulled off the PTO cylinder and the rings were stuck in the piston.

I also noticed the clicking is coming from the aluminum collar (Labyrinth Seal) that goes between the 2 center crank bearings. I can look down a small 1/4" oil hole and see the collar sliding side to side. I'd assume this isn't normal because it makes a terrible noise. Now the question is, whats the fix for it? Will equal compression from both cylinders stop it from slapping side to side?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes mine is a Suzuki but it is the same set up as the Kawasaki's. Mine is also RPM related, speeds up with RPM. If I roll my engine over to a certain spot and then grab the clutch and keep rotating the clutch back and forth it'll just keep clicking away.

I guess I just don't understand how it could get loose in the case all of a sudden. Its not a wear item on that surface.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think mine has an o-ring around the outside of it though. Thats the problem.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You could try packing it with grease? Maybe use a needle fitting on a grease gun to get down in there and use a grease that won't break down quick, like maybe a synthetic? This is just a bandaid suggestion, the real cure would be a tear down and rebuild. The grease might get you a season or two of riding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the engine is all back together and "tick free"! I put on some new crank seals and new rings with a fresh hone and it runs like a champ! It'll sit there and idle all day and not skip a beat.

That center seal fit pretty loose into the case but everything else about it looked fine. All I did was get a 3/16" diameter by 1/2" long hardened dowel pin and drilled the top half of the case a 1/4" deep and the center seal a 1/4" deep and put the pin in. Problem solved!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts