Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired an 87 Jag for the purpose of swapping out the rear suspension and rubber track with my 76 5000. Has anyone done this swap? Any tips or tricks? Will I need to swap out the driveshaft? Also I'm interested in using the secondary clutch from the Jag in the eltigre. Will that work? Thank you for your response.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yep its easier to use the driveshaft from the doner sled it will match perfect. Could use the 5000 shaft also, might need to nudge the drive sprockets a little. Think thats the easiest swap suspension. Put the drive shaft in with no track. Then use the front hole to put the suspension in. Then move it at all kinds of angles see if it will hit the drive sprockets. You can usually use the front hole on any swap but good the check it anyways. Then measure the CD holes from the Jag and transfer the measurement from the front hole to the Tiger. If you have to drill a new rear hole pretty common on a suspension swap.

The reverse Cam will bolt on might have to use a little shorter bolt as the steel clutches, the jackshaft isnt drilled as deep. Proly have to set your drive clutch for 1 3/8 belt or mill the reverse cam to use the Tigers 1 1/4 belt as you need at least 1 washer in there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 720! That's the info I was looking for. It seems pretty straight forward. It'll be a fun project. The hex clutch was shot when I got the sled. I found a used comet for it. I removed the shims to run the 1.25 belt. I'll have to put them back in now. Oh wait I have to loosen the motor from the chassis to get the clutch off...maybe I'll just use the steel secondary. Is it beneficial to use the aluminum secondary? More adjustability?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You can compress the drive clutch with a bar or big screw driver and make a U clamp to keep it compressed. Or once compressed might jam a wedge inbetween a weight will make the clutch smaller to pull out of the sled. Its a toss up if the RC clutch is better or not at smaller HP as its heaiver. I use the break even point of 70 hp to make it worth while but with the heaiver 108 driver. If not racing cleaned up does look better though. If you go that way get the smallest helix like a 45 or 48/44 and white spring

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info. I was going to run the lighter one so you answered that question for me. I appreciate your replies 720.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts