Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks,
I got a 1976 Eltigre 5000 that some nut installed a POS comet duster primary clutch. I have a donor '74 panther 440 that has a hex clutch i will use, what weights and springs do i need to properly set it up for the 500 F/A ??
thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
659 Posts
The weights in the panther clutch are the same as a 77 el tigre 5000, the spring is correct but the ramps are not right. If you go to browns leisure world and look up your model you can get all the part #'s.

Be sure to check the bushings and clean it up real good. I just picked up a donor clutch for my 76 tigre 5000 because the previous owner ran it with bad bushings and it's junk.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticryder85 @ Nov 8 2009, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hey folks,
I got a 1976 Eltigre 5000 that some nut installed a POS comet duster primary clutch. I have a donor '74 panther 440 that has a hex clutch i will use, what weights and springs do i need to properly set it up for the 500 F/A ??
thanks,
Russ[/b]
That duster clutch was a popular mod. back then. My dads friend had a panther or pantera that used to rip w/ that clutch. Well, I was about ten then, so im sure a 250cc. felt like I was flying. Want to sell it once you take it off?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just wanted to add the ramps in the hex should have a 290 or 294 stamped in them, the ones in there now should have a 162 stamped in them if that clutch is the original.

The hex on the panther is set up similar to my 75 tigre 340, that hex was on the 500 in the 75 chassis when I bought them. It pulled the ski's off and carried them for about 15 ft in the grass so it can't be all bad....lol.

swap it and see how it does, if the engine isn't overreving and the power band is smooth what more do you need ??.

Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for th input guys.
i probably wont sell the clutch, it would cost more to ship it than it would me worth, im from western canada. Maybe i can use it on one of my one lunger sleds sometime or something. but im building this eltigre for ice drags so i want a clutch that will work well. (see above pinned topic).
thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Heres some info on 1977. Maybe, use browns to cross check.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts