Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I'm looking for some ideas on what I should do. This weekend my 700 decided to call it quits. Part of the piston skirt broke off and connecting rod bearing went. Kinda looking for the most cost effective way to fix. Am I better off getting a complete engine or rebuilng.

Thanks evan

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
What kind of damage happened to the cylinder liner and the crankshaft? At minimum you'll need a new liner ($300) and possibly a crank plus the piston and piston pin,rings, con rod, bearing etc. Your at the point that a fully rebuild of all the bearings and oil seals should be replaced so it could cost a good amount. I would probably just find a good used engine.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
If there was no damage to the crank (have it mic'd) and you have experience building engines, and there was no other damage besides what you described, shouldn't be too bad, IMO. Depending how many miles were on it would determine whether you need to replace everything or not, again, IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
It's a 2008 has the cat engine in it. The cylinder walls have no marks at all in it.

Rebuild it then, shouldn't cause to much damage to your wallet. However make sure everything else is good. You don't want to take this thing apart again.

A complete engine is in the $2000 price range at a minimum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well its all apart. Definitely need a new crank and piston. Going to do all the bearings because its apart now I'm Trying to figure out what's going to be my best bet, for the piston and jug kinda leaning towards a big bore kit.

Thanks Evan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well its all apart. Definitely need a new crank and piston. Going to do all the bearings because its apart now I'm Trying to figure out what's going to be my best bet, for the piston and jug kinda leaning towards a big bore kit.

Thanks Evan
I'm just in the process of breaking in my 750bbk, I'd highly recommend going that route if you already have it this far apart.

Cam her up, high comp piston and a programmer (or whatever you EFI guys use) and you should notice a significant performance increase.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
700 H1 rebuild or not

Talk to your dealer and see if you can get a used engine from arctic cat salvage. I got one with only 54 mi. on it saved $300 over the price of a new engine. Engine came with every thing but the starter and fuel injection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have the bottom end put back together with a new crank and al new bearings. Now I'm just waiting for the bbk from speed werx to show up. What's the recomended break in period for the big bore.
Evan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.