Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the valves have to be adjusted on the 700's or do they have hydraulic lifters. and has anyone done them and how much time does it take.
I have 3500 miles and i think i can hear some tappy tap tap.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rodie427 @ Jan 4 2007, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anyone know if the valves have to be adjusted on the 700's or do they have hydraulic lifters. and has anyone done them and how much time does it take.
I have 3500 miles and i think i can hear some tappy tap tap.[/b]
Your 700 efi is a double overhead cam design. It does not have hydraulic lifters. Valve lash is adjusted by shims under buckets on the tops of the valve stems. In order to check the clearance, the cam cover(s) must be taken off and feeler gauge used to check clearance between the cam lobe and top of the bucket. If clearance is tight, a thinner shim is required, if loose, a thicker shim must be installed. In order to change the shims, both cams must be lifted. It is not a job for the uninitiated and it will cost in the neighborhood of $250.00 for a good dealer to do the work. With regard to whether or not you should do it, I'd say for sure. You should have had them inspected around the 500 mile mark. If the valves are a little loose that's not bad. Too loose however will have the cams pounding the buckets and major damage could occur. Too tight will result in burning valves and valve seats. Once you've had your valve lash adjusted you'll be good for probably 5000 miles or so. Then have them checked again. Chances are that they may not need replacement. An inspection only shouldn't be more than one hour's work for a decent mechanic. So the cost will be considerably less than changing shims. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts