Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys -

I'm in the market for a new quad, only my second one to date. I had a 2005 Grizz for 2 years and got rid of it to buy a second sled.

I'm looking at all the big bores, but due to dealership availability in my area and features that I like, I've narrowed it down to Arctic Cat, Polaris and Can-am.

I'm not getting very good specs off the Arctic Cat Website on the 700 EFI or the 700 Diesel.

I want a quad for mudding and all around fun. Our terrain is mostly rock and swamp. I had aftermarket tires on my Grizz, Vampire ASX's and they were amazing.

I almost purchased the Arctic Cat in 2005 because it really does look great on paper.

Please share your experiences with me that you've had with your 700 EFI or Diesel. Is the Diesel carbed? If so, that will eliminate that from the selection process. I definitely want EFI.

I'll be able to share photo's of my riding terrain and what i had on my Grizz after my photobucket account renews on the 9th.

Thanks for any help
YK

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
diesel isn't in the showrooms even yet, soon though. 700 is a good machine from what i have red on here.

welcome by the way, lots of info on this site, search around if you don't get the answer your looking for.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
If you're into mudding and rock crawling, you might want to possibly consider the 650 H1 as well. Just a thought! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Well please eliminate Polaris from your decision making..lol.. No but really, for what you described in your type of riding I'd go with the 650 H1. Mudding and rock crawling is what this bike was designed to do, low end torque, and lots of it. I love my machine, and most other riders are envious of it. I ride with Brute Forces 750 and PoPo 700's and the Kawi owners wish they had my ground clearance of 14 1/2'', and well the PoPo's just wish they had my BIKE..lol.. Purchase a H1 LE model and throw on some nice tires and you won't be disspointed...

·
Registered
300 Posts
:lol: hehehe a carbed diesel. You prolly do not want a diesel for yellowknife anyway.

My experience with the 700 has been a good one. other bikes i have owned are a sportsman, a bombardier, and honda and so far the AC has been my best bike. If your into mudding and rock crawling the Arctic cats are the way to go. If your into trailriding get a poo. and if your into fixing stuff, get a can am.
and seeing as yoru from very far north ill let you know that my 700 efi started last weekend when it was -35 sitting in a non isulated shed.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
No diesels have carburetors. They are all fuel injected and not the same kind of fuel injection used on gasoline engines. Unless you have some very heavy duty work requirements for your ATV, there would be no reason for a diesel. The diesel will be harder to start in cold weather, will weigh quite a bit more and probably not handle as well as the 700 efi or the H1. The diesel will also be a few grand more money as well. Your comparison should be more between the H1 and the 700 efi. Either one will more than likely all you need in an ATV.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
the rat is right... diesels are heavy, and are not cold weather friendly.

i love my 700, it's my second cat and will take whatever i dish at it. i've had a KQ and a kawi and the AC owns on ground clearance alone!.

no matter what the temp is she usuually busts off after a few rotations of the starter. and i can take her racks deep with no hickups whats-o-ever. ( just add DI grease to the plug)

hope you make the AC choice and welcome call

marcus

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I own a can am 650 and has been very reliable. Much better than my cat but with that said with the way you intend to use it the Cat is a way better choice. of the 650 and 700 cat I would get the 700 because of EFI. I love it on the can am. I would also look into the yamaha Grizzly 700 as it will be very good at what you want to use it for and a better trail quad.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I own an AC 700 EFI and Gizz 700 FI. Both are great bikes. I have 28' MST's on both bikes and there is 1' difference in GC.

The AC 700 feels kind of scary going up steep hills, upward cliff trails or off camber situations. I prefer the Grizz 700 for steep trail riding b/c the gas tank is in the center of the bike, under the seat, gives you a better center of gravity.

The AC 700 is just a bigger bike, weighs about 135 lbs more and is about 4- 5 inches longer with the bumpers. If you are going to be riding double on your bike, get the AC 700. The seat is longer and the speedrack seat is very cofmortable for two average size riders.

You can not beat the power steering on a 700 Grizzly. It is AMAZING. you litterally can ride in thick, heavy mud in dif lock with one hand all day long. Makes drinkin a beer and cruising down the trail much easier ;O) Plus, the Grizz turns better, has power steering (I would think would be great for rock climbing) and it's sporty size makes trail riding easier.

Both are EFI and are great bikes. Just depends on your preference. IMHO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts