Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please give me the advantages and disadvantages of an 7 foot vs 8 foot enclosed trailer. I am in the market for a new a very good used enclosed trailer and cannot find the answer. What manufactures should I aviod? I have looked at United, Haulmark and R&R.

Thanks. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have had 2 4 place enclosed, and I have a brand new 3 place inline that I am selling.(downsizing to one sled)

First, other that the 4 place side by side(8.5 wides) sits up high and catches a ton of wind, they are great trailers. You do tend to need a larger vehicle, thus causing higher fuel and maintenace costs. Easie4r to move around it, and more overall room.

3 place in lines or longer are great tow vehicles, they cost more(why I still don't know) and sit so low you don't even need a step to get into them. They are a little harder to walk around in, and if you have a sled in the front, you will always have to take every sled out.( if you always use all the sleds at the same time, no big deal) They can be pulled with a smaller vehicle, and simply look a little better.

Overall, with having both, I love my new 3 place. Too bad I am downsizing for the next few years. Otherewise, I would never sell it.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (turtleheadking @ Jan 15 2007, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have had 2 4 place enclosed, and I have a brand new 3 place inline that I am selling.(downsizing to one sled)

First, other that the 4 place side by side(8.5 wides) sits up high and catches a ton of wind, they are great trailers. You do tend to need a larger vehicle, thus causing higher fuel and maintenace costs. Easie4r to move around it, and more overall room.

3 place in lines or longer are great tow vehicles, they cost more(why I still don't know) and sit so low you don't even need a step to get into them. They are a little harder to walk around in, and if you have a sled in the front, you will always have to take every sled out.( if you always use all the sleds at the same time, no big deal) They can be pulled with a smaller vehicle, and simply look a little better.

Overall, with having both, I love my new 3 place. Too bad I am downsizing for the next few years. Otherewise, I would never sell it.[/b]
Pretty much everything he said. I've towed both, and prefer the inlines. Having that trailer tucked in behind the tow vehicle just makes life easier (no tow mirrors needed, less wind resist, etc.) if you don't mind the little extra length. Also like Turtlehead mentioned, they can be a bummer if have a downed sled and you need to get the others off/on the trailer. So far, that hasn't been an issue with us though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a large tow vehical, a 2.5 ton cab over with a 14' box, I can get 3 sleds in it . I also pull a 24' v nose with a work shop on wheels.
So it really depends on your needs and what you got, both to be pulled and what to pull with?
I get 10.5 mpg with a full house, only got 7 with the suburban and a 2 place.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
I use this trailer in the picture below. It's a ROYAL 7x16. It is the cheapest trailer manufactured on the market. (P.O.S.) Can be purchased for under $4k It will hold 2 sleds (staggered) I use a shop dollie to roll sleds out the ramp door.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a brand new Haulmark 19' 8.5 wide trailer. It is hard to pull, requires lots of power.

Here is a picture of my undercarriage and inside nose when it received it brand new 1 year ago, I ordered it custom.

I have been fighting with Wahl Bros. for over a year now with no results.
The undercarriage looks way worse now.

Everybody makes mistakes, it is how they are fixed is what counts, mines not fixed.

I don't know if my trailer was a mistake, or this is just the way they build them.
Haulmark does not seem to be too concerned at all. A lot of my fortysomething friends look at it and will never buy a Haulmark now especially with next to no response from the manufacture.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am kind of going through the same thing now. I had a Renegade 8x12 ES6, nice trailer for two machines. I stuffed 3 in it for two years, a royal PITA! Now, I want to go to a 3 place in line I think. I dont like the wider ones for the fact that you cant see around them. I dont tow everyday like some guys, so I think I will be more comfortable with the inline.
From what I can gather, they are tighter to load and to walk around in when loaded, but then, how much walking around in it are you going to do? I think Im willing to give up the little bit of walking room for feeling safer towing it.
I`ve done a lot of looking around at trailers (on the net) and so far, I think Prolite is the way Im leaning. Rich has been talking with me ( Im a very picky person and have tons of questions) and he has been very helpful. I visited their shop the other day, I was in the area, and one of the guys Sven, took me in the shop and showed me the trailers they were working on. The quality is very good! They will even custom build it for you, if you want things moved around, added or deleted. Look up there web site.
Hope this helps,
Craig

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I pulled the trigger today on a new 7' x 27'. Does anyone have pictures of their trailer loaded? I am hoping to get four machines in this...the dealer said it would not be a problem. Also, I was told that people load these from the front...is that true? I only have one long sled...Pantera.

Where is a good place to get accessories for the inside? I ordered an enclosed helmet cabinet with a hanger rod.

I want to add a surface mount LP heater also.

·
Registered
549 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1lby @ Jan 17 2007, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well I pulled the trigger today on a new 7' x 27'. Does anyone have pictures of their trailer loaded? I am hoping to get four machines in this...the dealer said it would not be a problem. Also, I was told that people load these from the front...is that true? I only have one long sled...Pantera.

Where is a good place to get accessories for the inside? I ordered an enclosed helmet cabinet with a hanger rod.

I want to add a surface mount LP heater also.[/b]
I have an 07 718 Blizzard, it tows very nice. They are designed to be loaded from the front and out the back door, you'll have no problems getting 4 or more sleds in it. As far as heat goes, I got a Big Buddy propane heater for x-mas and so far so good, it runs on 2 1lb propane bottles, it nice to be able to close all the doors and stand up and change in a heated enviornment.

Trailer Accessories- http://www.sledtech.com/trailer.htm

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1lby @ Jan 17 2007, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Good Job, Which brand did you decide on. Who was the lucky dealer in chicagoland to get your money. Post some pics. Are you towing it with a DIESEL. If not you may need a rearend gear change to 4.10

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased it from Morris Trailer Sales...Haulmark 7 x 27. P/U this am...looks real nice! I will post some picks. :super_happy:

Headin' to Minocqua this weekend.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ucop27 @ Jan 18 2007, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1lby @ Jan 17 2007, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have an 07 718 Blizzard, it tows very nice. They are designed to be loaded from the front and out the back door, you'll have no problems getting 4 or more sleds in it. As far as heat goes, I got a Big Buddy propane heater for x-mas and so far so good, it runs on 2 1lb propane bottles, it nice to be able to close all the doors and stand up and change in a heated enviornment.

Trailer Accessories- http://www.sledtech.com/trailer.htm
[/b][/quote]

I have seen the Big Buddy...you can wall mount them if I remember.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1lby @ Jan 18 2007, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I purchased it from Morris Trailer Sales...Haulmark 7 x 27. P/U this am...looks real nice! I will post some picks. :super_happy:

Headin' to Minocqua this weekend.[/b]
Ha Ha... He's the same guy who got my money too. Dont forget to stop at the YAMMI dealer next door. :tongue_nana:

·
Registered
424 Posts
This is my 8X16 all-aluminum 2 axel SnowKing by Continental total weight empty 1800 lbs. My 03 4.8 ½ ton Chevy has no problems. On the highest mountain passes it will maintain 55 mph.
[attachment=61052:priest_L..._Trailer.jpg]
[attachment=61048:loaded_trailer.jpg]
[attachment=61049:supershonk.jpg]

Attachments

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1lby @ Jan 18 2007, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Hmmm... Just looked at the forecast for friday. Looks like you will be running right into a 30 mph headwind. Let us know how it tows in those conditions. Wausau should be the true test.

·
Registered
978 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Headin' to Minocqua this weekend[/b]
Keep driving, there's no snow in Minocqua. Good luck with the construction in Wausau, the swing around the old Bridge St. exit sucks without a trailer.

As for trailers I have a 8 1/2' x 10' R&R, it tows ok (with a 01' Chevy 3/4 ton HD crew cab) but, it grabs alot of wind and it's hard to see around.

·
Registered
912 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FeelTheThunder @ Jan 16 2007, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a brand new Haulmark 19' 8.5 wide trailer. It is hard to pull, requires lots of power.

Here is a picture of my undercarriage and inside nose when it received it brand new 1 year ago, I ordered it custom.

I have been fighting with Wahl Bros. for over a year now with no results.
The undercarriage looks way worse now.

Everybody makes mistakes, it is how they are fixed is what counts, mines not fixed.

I don't know if my trailer was a mistake, or this is just the way they build them.
Haulmark does not seem to be too concerned at all. A lot of my fortysomething friends look at it and will never buy a Haulmark now especially with next to no response from the manufacture.[/b]

this is the beuitful part of forums these days

sledding indusry 10 years ago could pull a fast one over your eyes and you may bitch to your freinds but thats as far as it would go now a days you say somthing to a few freinds and post problem on the internet and wham now who knows maby a thousand people will see it that tel their freinds and they say stay away as well
I think it helps the honest dealers that strive to make a good product stay on top
and keeps the dishonest dealers out there on the bottom of the market if not putting them out of buisness

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree! Ive been talking to Rich at Prolite and he has gone way out of his way to answer all my questions (which have been a lot to say the least), they dont try to ram things down your throat. Great guys to deal with, I just have to figure out exactly what I want. Im very picky, and fussy and I dont want to shoot myself in the foot by not ordering something that would be benificial to me later. Im not familar with inline trailers at all and they are helping with all my stupid questions.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Here she is... I haven't installed the cabinets in yet.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts