Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I recently began a full resto on a 1969 Panther P19H my great grand father bought brand new. Anybody have any tricks to removing the primary or atleast the front cover?? It has the black steel polaris primary. I've tried the hydraulic method with now luck. All I want to do is go through the primary and clean and service it. I removed the 3 small bolts and clips and it now rotates about a 1/4 turn but does not come off?? I've never worked on one of these old clutches so I'm about lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
With the center bolt out, can yo get a wrench on the big hex nut on the cover and unscrew the cover off?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its Soakin now. Do you happen to know if the big hex is a bolt or is it just to turn the entire outer cover?

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Well, i don't know, but it appears to be built like a Salsbury clutch. So, my thinking is, it's a hollowed out big bolt that screws onto the stem of the stationary sheave. Probably only a couple of inches long. But that's only a guess. The salsbury clutch has the 3 little bolts closer to the big hex bolt. But it sure resembles one. Back in the day, there weren't many manufactures of clutches. Maybe look up old Polaris clutches, or a Polaris guy might know something about it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That is an old polaris steel clutch and the large hex is a removable bolt that holds the outer movable sheave to the crank. to get the whole thing off you take that large one out and use a slug of metal the right length and diameter in the hole, and thread the big hex bolt in to press off the fixed sheave. someone just recently posted a good diagram of that clutch on vintagesleds.com but i dont have the link handy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts