Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
J/W how much work is it to drop a 650 wildcat engine into a 1996 powder special 580, like as far as the mounts, are they the same?? ive swaped fans but dont reay wnat ot freak around with a liquid to much, and also , would the tunnel be able to handle the power?

·
Registered
473 Posts
It would be a pretty tough drop. the problem with the 650 is that there are no bolt threads in the side of the case, only the 4 on the bottom used for the motor plate (how the 650 was always mounted). I am almost positive that the cranks on the 650s and 700s are the same, so you could get a case from a 700 engine (needs to be 92 or newer, any AC 700 engine 1992-2000), use the 650 top end, then you would just need the proper 700 motor mounts and you'd be set. However, if you're going through that trouble, you might be better off just getting a 700 engine.

The tunnel/bulkhead would be fine, many people have put wildcat/zr 700 engines into this chassis without problems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my 580 bolts from the bottom of the block to the mounting plate also , but the main concern is relay if the block holes for hte mounting plate would be the same , if not then i am not goin to bother with it because i dont realy want to screw around with my engine cause hte engine is good, or so it seems , starts 1-3 pulls all the time runs strong and has enough power but just wnated to check o nthe 650 idea , thanks for the input tho.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yes you can. I´ve done the werry same thing, exept i have a zr 580. But the ps and ZR are just the same when it comes to the enginemounts.

I just had to drill 2 new holes at the 580 mounting plate, and then the wildcat engine fitted nicely.

But you´ll have to put the sek. clouch about 1.5 cm more "far out" on the axel. Than stock.

Other than that, its a peace of cace. All electriks works to.

(sorry 4 the bad english, i´m from sweden)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Now that you mention it, i believe this is true. someone over on HCS did this a while back, also mentioned the shimming out of the secondary. i'll get you his name if i can find it.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awsome let me know, that would be great, i was lookin at it today and my engine doesnt bolt from the bottom, the guy who got the engine had a mounting plate made up for his zr580 so it might not be to much trouble , we will have to see i geuss haha

·
Registered
523 Posts
I dont know buddy, I think you should keep the 580 engine in there for find a ZR 700 engine to put in there. Ive known a few people with the 650 Wildcat and they seemed to have alot of problems with it and beside that 580 is a newer design, that should be putting out pretty close to the same HP. Didnt the 650 eat alot of pistons too?!

The Wildcat/ZR 700 engine is pretty hott with the twin pipes installed, try to find one of those. But hey whatever floats your boat! I like those old Powder Specials either way, I think the white tickles my fancy. haha

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya , shes kinda blue now aha, it was painted yeelow with a brush when i got it bang your head , which isnt fair to a cat but, shes blue now , a dark metalic blue, theres some pcis in my album of here when i got her and of just before she got hauled apart completly, so how much work is into the 700 engine mod?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya , scrap the idea, i got my engine all reinstalled , im goin to keep the stock 580 and prolly just look for some pipes or a can for it , or maybe a 440 if ican fidn one , anyone now the horespower specs on the zr440(sp and non sp) and my 580??

·
Registered
523 Posts
The HP specs vary a bit from year to year on both engines. The 97 ZR 440 engine, non valved, was rated in the specs at 90 HP and I have read that in most cases this engine lives up to those claims and maybe even a hair more when dialed in real good. The 97 ZR 580 engine was rated at 97 HP. BUT in that era I believe the EXT and possibly the Powder Specials used a different variation of this engine that made less horsepower. I believ the ZR had the triple port exhaust that was a bit hotter setup. Either way your 580 should be good for the low-90 HP range I would imagine.

The ZR Sno Pro, that too depends on the year. Generally from 98-2001 they ranged from 97-99 HP ratings. The 98-99 440 engines had a pressure activated exhaust valve system that was much less reliable then the APV electronically controled system that came around on the 2000 model machines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts