Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I got my V twin 650 Monday and havent gone out due to extremely cold temps. Yesterday it was 20 F and I took it out for a virgin ride of 7 miles. When I got back home I realized that my right boot, pant leg was covered in oil. I let it sit in the garage for abt an hour went to check it again and there was a pretty big puddle under it. It was in the front of the engine, and was on the right side of the engine only. :stop_nono: The left side was dry. The oil level was down a couple of X's on the stick which I topped off and then for a quick ride, and parked it. This morning when I went out there wasnt a puddle.
The dealer has since come & got it and brought it to the shop. I havent heard back from them so I thought Id try the vast knowledge and help that this site has always had. Does anyone have a similar experience, or any ideas or opinions of where it may be leaking? My thought was maybe from a clogged vent blowing oil in the air cleaner?
It's defineately motor oil, and other than the leak its running fine and is quite a beast in the snow / trails. (even if just 7 miles) Hopefully this is something minor, and not an indication of what ownership is going to be like. It was sold as a holdover so Im thinking maybe something is clogged, or loose due to sitting. I hope the motor wont have to come apart. Please let me hear any opinions, experience, you may have. :thumbsup: Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
Could be that you had too much oil in the motor and it's blowing up to your air box and coming out the air box drain... happened to be before and a few others.. Maybe it's nothing to worry about at all.

If it is that, it will level itself off and be OK.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
I agree that it was overfilled with oil as it doesn't take much to do it really. I would pull the dipstick and have a look and memorize where it is now and don't fill over that point.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are the BEST! :thumbsup: Just got off the phone w/ my dealer and that's EXACTLY what happened! Cat is going to cover it under warranty, and even pay for a new air filter, and a fresh oil & filter change along w/ the pick-up & delivery.
They're going to bring it back Monday morning, and have even cleaned the whole bike! This site is the BEST resource for Cat owners. I thank you again for your help! Looks like I made the right choice in buying a Cat.
:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts