Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally decided to do it. i've done some searchin about this and man, a guy can get burned out readin. pretty much new to 4-wheelin life and was to scared to attempt snorkling. but seems to be an easy task.already have fender off and getting ready to dive in head first. i just have couple questions (more like need reassurance)

i have a 06 650v2 and i plan on snorkling air intake, belt intake and exhaust....so...

i think i'm going to take the front air box completely off and just run a snorkle out of the primary air box......doing so wont hurt anything would it? i measured ID of hose and i believe it was 2.5". what are you guys using to make up the differnece if using 2" pvc. or does the bell on the end make it a snug fit? (havent bought anything yet to line things up)

now for belt snorks.....

the hose in front is the exhaust....correct?....and the hose on top is intake, right?......i read somewhere that a kawi oem part with oval fitting on one side works good for exhaust intake. would that work on my 650V2?

i'm nervous as hell doing this mod cuz i've never done it. so bear with me on questions. i just dont want to ruin it. had her for a year now and been procrastinating cuz of that. well its time!!!!!

if there's any other advice or tidbits i'd appreciate the help. aleady thinking about callin it quits and have the fender off!!!!
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
the hose in front is the exhaust....correct?....and the hose on top is intake, right?......i read somewhere that a kawi oem part with oval fitting on one side works good for exhaust intake. would that work on my 650V2?[/b]
That's bass ackwards, the exhaust is on the top and the intake is on the front of your belt cover. You'll be fine, lots of info on here.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
The easiest thing is to continue wearing yourself out reading the posts. Plenty of pictures and advice on several different methods of snorking the V2. The most important thing is to use the proper cement for your fittings and on the carb intake make sure you use 1.5" fittings or you will need to rejet. It is also easier to leave the fender on so you can make accurate cuts, just leave all the bolts out so it moves and allows you room to work. Now all you have to decide is, hidden, cut through the removeable plastic or cutting into the fender plastic.
If you still can't seem to find or understand the process repost and we can help you out.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Don't worry champ...you'll do just fine. For me, I read a lot and finally had enough and had to jump in and reference the posts to find my info once I was knee deep in it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blackmax, thanks for the link. i could use all the reference i can get. havent found to much about v2, ...lots of H1.........would snork info be the same???

modn, thank you for correcting me on that. i prolly would have had exhaust blowing straight in the face had i gone my way! i know i read it somewhere on here what was what. but i think it was after 3 hours of reading and i was starting to see things backwards....or bass ackwards

sanny, thanks for the couragement!!!....lol....took me a year to finally grow some and just do it...lol

i'd like to get your guys opinion,.....thinking about just coming up through removable plastic. i'd like to have 2 sets of snorks....meaning a short set and a long set. i live in MN and we cant be more then 6" above intake. but i know some mud trails out in the boon docks and would like to switch to long snorks then. any thoughts about best way??......rubber coupler?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Well, it depends on how much deep water you'll be doing and how high that water will be. Here's what I would do in your shoes (being that I too am in MN). Run your PVC verticle tubing through the removable plastic and put a coupler there. From there, you can have a tall or short extension that you can simply fit in there. You could put a bead of silicon inside the coupler where the extension would fit into to create a better seal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks sanny, thats exactly what i was thinking. maybe not best way for looks, but my priority is function. not really certain how DNR figures 6" but i guess i'll just take measure tape and go from intake hose. i saw an old post on your snorks (comin out the side) thats awesome. wanted to do that but since i have cat care warranty didnt want to cut fenders. figure its cheaper to buy removable plastic then fenders if i have any probs.
i forgot to ask earlier, ya using regular old pvc cement on snorks?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Yep, just regular pvc cement. My new snorkels are similar (well, kind of) to my old style. I don't do the really deep stuff. I put them on to increase the air intake diameter, get colder air into combustion, and to know where I am at with regards to the water to my intake vs. guessing.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Smitty_ @ Mar 17 2007, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
thanks sanny, thats exactly what i was thinking. maybe not best way for looks, but my priority is function. not really certain how DNR figures 6" but i guess i'll just take measure tape and go from intake hose. i saw an old post on your snorks (comin out the side) thats awesome. wanted to do that but since i have cat care warranty didnt want to cut fenders. figure its cheaper to buy removable plastic then fenders if i have any probs.
i forgot to ask earlier, ya using regular old pvc cement on snorks?[/b]

You can permanently glue all your pieces up to/just under the removable piece, then use a rubber coupler to change out your stack heights so to speak. Lowes or HD has some nice stainless covered ones that will make it look pretty nice above the plastic. Not sure of the difference, but I imagine you are going to use the black piping, that is ABS plastic, not PVC. There is a different cement for that, not sure what the impact of using PVC glue on ABS is, the benefit of using the ABS glue is you can get it in black.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am going to do mine also (after I make sure everything is ok), but going to go the hidden route, what are you guys using to come off the stock airbox?? And how do you seal it there, just use some silicone?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (doober @ Mar 18 2007, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am going to do mine also (after I make sure everything is ok), but going to go the hidden route, what are you guys using to come off the stock airbox?? And how do you seal it there, just use some silicone?[/b]

I used the existing rubber hose and cut it where I needed it and put on a proper stainless hose clamp.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I went to Menards and bought 2" ABS plastic (they called it PVC at Menards) and some 2" Fernco fittings (without the bell ends on them). I sanded down the fittings so that all the raised lettering and nubs were removed. Then I lined it all up, marked the pieces, took them apart and then glued them together, then painted them with Krylon plastic spray paint. I used PVC cement on all of it and trust me....she ain't going anywhere. :) If I have to change something on it, I'll be cutting and redoing it ($10 or so in parts total to do that should it come to that).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i went out and bought parts. everything but 3"-2" reducers. couldnt find them anywhere. hopefully lowes will have what i need tomorrow. also couldnt find the ABS so i'll have to go the sandin and paintin route. cut and lined snorks up according to pics. havent started lining up on the machine yet tho. figured i'd wait to tear off factory snorks until i have reducers. but its alot easier then i first thought. (nervous about rippin into new wheeler i guess)

but thanks to thoughts, opinions and experience.....along with some great sticky's and posts....thanks guys, dont think i would have started this one with out them.

next machine is the 700 EFI snorks........lol....i'm sure i'll be askin for help on that one....speakin of which......i've found some posts with 700 snorkled but not much detail so i have to ask..........with the efi is there anything different??.....can i just snorkle like my 650V2?? or cuz of EFI is there something else????

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Mar 18 2007, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I went to Menards and bought 2" ABS plastic (they called it PVC at Menards) and some 2" Fernco fittings (without the bell ends on them). I sanded down the fittings so that all the raised lettering and nubs were removed. Then I lined it all up, marked the pieces, took them apart and then glued them together, then painted them with Krylon plastic spray paint. I used PVC cement on all of it and trust me....she ain't going anywhere. :) If I have to change something on it, I'll be cutting and redoing it ($10 or so in parts total to do that should it come to that).[/b]
Sanny, the PVC is the white colored piping, the ABS is black, they are made out of different compounds/plastics. There is a noticeable difference when cutting them. I think the PVC is rated for higher pressures as it seems to be much harder. I originally used the PVC but got tired of prepping and painting it. Either one will work great, just wanted to make sure that Smitty knew to cement them up and not rely on the tight fit to hold or stay watertight.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Smitty_ @ Mar 18 2007, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well i went out and bought parts. everything but 3"-2" reducers. couldnt find them anywhere. hopefully lowes will have what i need tomorrow. also couldnt find the ABS so i'll have to go the sandin and paintin route. cut and lined snorks up according to pics. havent started lining up on the machine yet tho. figured i'd wait to tear off factory snorks until i have reducers. but its alot easier then i first thought. (nervous about rippin into new wheeler i guess)[/b]
Smitty, Lowes will have the fernco fittings no doubt, be patient and things will turn out fine. The other great thing is if you don't like it you can just cut it all up and start over, very cheap parts! Make sure you post the finished product.
:beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
YOu know what, you're right. I've cut PVC before on my band saw and it was considerably different than the ABS. The Menards here calls it PVC...you'd think they would get it right??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well after hours of messin around with different routes and different levels of frustration i finally figured which way i'm gonna run snorks. i believe it was frontiercat's pic that helped me decide. put 90's on stock tube and just turned it up there. decided not to snorkle belt exhaust.

i do have a question tho......once i ran snorkle for carb intake i fired her up it seemed to idle good. but with a little throttle it started popping (backfiring?) the pvc used out of stock pipe is 1 1/2 (basically a U shape) then a 90 turned up. now, keeping in mind, i dont have pvc glued yet but i covered intake and it did die out. would the popping(backfire) be cuz of not being glued????

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
forgot to add.....not sure it would make a difference tho but i did just take the dynateck cdi out and put stock one back in.( have to send it back)

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Your popping issue shouldn't have anything to do with your PVC not being glued unless you have a very sloppy fit in the line somewhere. I have snorked three machines keeping the 1.5" line for the carbs and not a single issue. First check for sloppy fits or an actual loose connection between your stock inlet and the PVC.

I can't imagine the Dynatek causing an issue since it's not EFI like a car or truck and needs to relearn anything.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Make sure the airbox lid is on right and secured (I had a go around with that myself) and make sure all connections are tight and not sucking air. You don't need to glue it yet, but make sure they are tight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts