Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased 07 650 hi and it wont go over [email protected] it has no mud or anything in the sliders or sheave and the belt looks in good shape. runs good and climbs like a monkey but no high speed. also when you give it gas it makes a loud knocking type noise, is this just the way these engines sound? any help will be better than the dealers answers thanx

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Did you check and see if the throttle screw is NOT screwed in to limit the throttle?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already looked at that. the motor is hitting the rev limiter and just stops pulling

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes as far as i know the bike only has 400 mi. on it

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I would make sure that the belt is inspec. The specs for your belt are on this site. When you go to take off, what is your engagement rpm at.

I take it you have had the cover off, and looked at the belt. Is there any dust mud, grease or anything in the belt housing. One thing that you could do, is jack it up up off of the ground and block it, so that it is stable. Then run the throtle up and see how fast it goes @ max with no load. If it goes a ton fast like 60 or 70 mph there has to be something wrong. Yes it will go faster with no load but not that much faster. ALso make sure that your shifter isnt keeping you from being in high range. Almost sounds like your stuck in low. 40 @ 7200 rpm has to be low range.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tried the no load with the same results. i think it is going into high i have tried to shift it from low to high while moving and it grinds untill you slow almost to a stop

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (turbos85 @ Dec 19 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
tried the no load with the same results. i think it is going into high i have tried to shift it from low to high while moving and it grinds untill you slow almost to a stop[/b]

I am pretty sure that you need to be stopped to shift gears, I always make sure I am stopped. Something may be wrong with the clutching. It should pull harder/longer than 40mph in high. You should take another look at the clutches and belt.

If you could, I would try talking with the previous owner and see what, if any kind of clutch work they had done to it.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
My guess is that there's clutching that was done (rollers). If you're hitting the rev limiter with those 27" Bearclaws (heavy tire i believe) then my hunch is that the prior owner did some clutching to it and that's why it pulls like a mule but only tops out at 40mph when you hit the rev limiter in high range. I would ensure there's stock rollers in there (again, my hunch is that there's some sort of clutch kit in there). Start there.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the man i got it from said no mods were ever done only work ever done was from dealer when his son tried to sink it in the lake.it had stock size tires on it when i bought it and still only went 40 im realy lost for an answer on this one very first ac i have owned now im wondering about my choice of bikes. dont realy care about going fast but need to know i can.......i quess if i ever find this solution im going to do the snorkles and airdam mods.HELP

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
If tires were stock and clutching was stock, then I would check the belt for sure. If it's too thin, then you won't go as fast. Out of curiosity, how far down into the secondary is it sitting? If that kid took it in the lake, it's a safe assumption that the belt got wet and he was on it and potentially wore it down. Bone stock, your H1 should run 55mph or so, give or take.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS. WHERE DO I GO TO FIND OUT THE SPECS ON THE BELT? ANY IDEAS ON THE NOISE AKA KNOCKING WHEN GASSING IT

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
In the pinned section you can find the manual for the H1. The belt spec will be in there. If I can find it sooner, I'll post it for ya.

As for the knocking noise, I would check the spark plug to ensure you have the right one and that it's tan (not black or white). I would also check the valves.

You said this was swimming...what work did the dealership do to it?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I WAS TOLD THEY DRAINED ALL FLUIDS-CLEANED OUT AIR BOX BELT HOUSING.SAID THEY CHARGED HIM ALMOST 500.00 THE GET IT RUNNING WITH NO PROBLEMS???? I CHECKED THE PLUG IT IS THE RIGHT ONE BUT A LITTLE BLACK AND SOOTY LOOKING. FOUND THE MANUAL BUT NOT THE BELT SPECS I WILL LOOK AGAIN

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
found the spec on the belt and i do have wrong plug calls for a 6 i have 8!!!! easy fix on that sanny651 do u still have circuit breakers aval. probably need to do main and fan already blow fan first time out

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
If your plug is a bit sooty, then you are running rich. Provided your choke is functioning properly, then I would check jetting. Your main should be a 138 (Keihin) I believe. I would also check to ensure that your air filter is not only clean, but not over oiled.

·
Registered
141 Posts
check the rollers in the clutch. i burnt the plastic off of mine one day. bike had low end but no top end. they replaced the rollers and it was back to normal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts