Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and I may have missed it but here is my issue

650 H1 while plowing snow the display will go dark (gas gauge, speed etc.) the ATV will bog down and then backfire. I did some research and saw some discussions about bad fuel as well as low battery power. I have purchased and installed a new battery as well as ran Sea-foam through the gas. Machine idles just fine with no rough sounds. Any idea of what I can try next.
Not sure if the backfire is the cause of the power loss or not. I am assuming the power loss comes first them the backfire is the end result as there is left over gas.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Cold weather requires more fuel. 0 degrees F require 10% more fuel then 70 degrees F. It could be the COLD winter air is the cause for the backfiring. if you were a little lean with warm weather, then in cold weather you may be too lean.

A lot of times this can be improved or eliminated just by opening the PMS screw 1/4-1/2 turn. Just close it back to were it was when it warms up. If not you may need to increase main jet one or two sizes, Especially if you have performed mods to intake or exhaust to improve flow into and out of the engine.

The display going blank could be due to low battery level. the new battery should help, Keep it fully charged with a battery tender between uses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still occurs

I might have been unclear in my first post.

After replacing of the battery the issue still exists with the display as well as the backfiring. Not sure if that means anything of not.

·
Registered
299 Posts
One thing I found out is that My Cat does NOT LIKE SEAFOAM! I have used Seafoam in many things with great results, but it was the oposite with the cat. i drained the gas, replaced it and all was fine. first problem I had though was the miss fire, with power loss, ended up being due to the battery being low. I dont know what year your cat is, but I have read others with the same year/model as mine also saying that they had problems with seafoam in them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still occurs

It is a 2007. The loss of power and the backfire happened. then I read the same posts you did and replaced the battery and added the sea- foam.
I still have the same issues so still unsure what to do next. Not sure if the computer is messed up or not. I am not positive it is a fuel problem as I never had the issue until recently.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Issue Resolved

Worked on the 4 wheeler this evening and found the issue. Appears as though I had a broken ground somewhere on the 4 wheeler. Installed a ground right off the battery to the frame and the problem disappeared. Used the 4 wheeler all weekend without one power off or backfire.

Thanks to all for the help and advice.

·
Administrator
38,909 Posts
You will want to find it or you could start having fire issues from shorting out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts