Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some answers concerning the 650 H1 and the 700 EFI. The 650 has a very hard time starting in the cold weather. Won't idle, it spits and sputters and dies, until motor is warmed up. My first cats and first time with the electric choke system(use to the manual type). I live in canada and I know there must be other H1 owners here and I would like to know if you experience the same problems. Bike has been at the shop lots to try and remedy. Choke does not seem to kick in to fast idle the bike, and I just got the bike back with a new elec choke system installed and its gotten worse. Any info would help.

My 700 has 1000 miles and if I drive in low and shift to high the belt sqeels almost every time. Had it checked can't find any problems. Other guys I talk to don't seem to have this problem.(not running in any deep water) I was also wondering weather if any owners had there valves adjusted and at what mileage? Dealer says its to early to set. Low rpm engine running temp seems to me that the valves are making noise. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Just asking here but you say "when i drive in low and shift to high your belt squeals". You do stop before you shift to high right ???? just asking dont shoot me :D

maybe you clutch needs cleaned ?? maybe has belt dust on the sheeves or dirt on it ????

i would say the 700efi would not have this cold start problem ,EFI should fix that issuse..

·
Registered
754 Posts
I second Big E's question on the primer. Mine is dependant on the primer as much as any chainsaw or lawn mower that has a clear bulb primer that you push to prime.Keep in mind that the owner's manual says that the primer should be used for starting a ''cold engine''............it's not just for starting an engine in cold weather.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gwc @ Feb 16 2007, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i would say the 700efi would not have this cold start problem ,EFI should fix that issuse..[/b]
Arctic Cat's fuel injection is still a little cold blooded on my machine. Sure it's nice once it's warmed up, but for some reason when I start it cold, it will idle fine but when I put it in gear, it will abruptly stall once I touch the throttle. Once it's re-started, it's fine, but 90% of the time, it will stall once.

·
Registered
257 Posts
As long as you prime your H1 first, it should start right Up. As far as your 700 goes, what is your RPM's set at? It should be about 1400. And as far as it stalling, mine does that when I have not let it warm up long enough initially. Hope this helps. The primer is located beneath the carb and it is a little handle, not a bulb like a lawnmower

Mitch :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I have to prime mine quite a few times, and if it's really cold (below zero) I have to prime it a few times while it's running at first.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Cole, I'm in Eastern Canada also and my H1 acts up the same way, but the primer should fix that problem. Give it 3 shots and fire it up, it will idle perfect for a bit then it'll sputter, give it a few pumps of throttle and a way she'll go... Works for me anyways...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info and yes I do stop the bike before sifting between low and high rang. Bike going to the dealer this week will let you know what goes on.
Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 700 and have had similiar problems but have learned to just start it (not hit the throttle at all) and let it run a few to several minutes, depending on the temperature, and it runs fine. I get the belt sqeak too but once it is rolling it seems to act perfectly fine. I have over a thousand miles on it and ride it pretty hard, and I'm very impressed with it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts