Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all My Flywheel broke the other day during a ride but I was able to limp home but damaged the stator.
The Question I have is the flywheel cracked off and was wobling around, is it possible the Crank could be bent because of this??
The center cone of the Flywheel was still attatched but the rest was holding on by the nut and a small piece of metal. It is bizarre I have never seen this before.

Any suggestions

It is a 1998 zrt 600

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
i am going to go out on limb here ang guess that your crank was slightly bent or twisted out of phase before the flywheel came apart, and thats what caused it from what you are describing
the outer section of the flywheel separated from the inner sleeve part correct?
something had to be out of balance for it to come apart like that, usually the crank issue is caused from snapping a belt when really getting on the throttle, I have spun a crank from loosing the drive chain also. the zrt's are pretty good at hiding the extra vibration. it can also take its toll on your primary clutch, usually this shows up pretty quick though the primary seems like its sticking a little bit here and there, belt drags at idle from this beacuse the clutch isnt running true.
It could also be the main crank bearing on the mag side has gone south on you and the fltwheel is getting excess vibration from that, either way i would pull it, have it checked and if you really want to not think about it any more get it welded. so it cant twist, then the only option you have is to wear it out or totally snap it into pieces :)

dan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dan
Last Year I had snapped the Crank but it was taken in and fixed and balanced. I also did the whole top end at this time and the Sled was running the strongest it ever had. The only thing I can think is then this must gave happened last year and finally now has reached it's limit. Would you then pull and test the crank again because of this???

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Well heres the thing, if you had the crank apart once before, its allready weak when it went back together, ever time you press these things apart and re-assemble them the joints get looser, and are easier to twist were talking about a few thousands here, its not much but im bettting total runout is way more than that if you had a flywheel come apart.
If it was my sled i would tear it apart and have it checked out and welded, you might be able to find a decent crank from a parted out engine and get it sent out for now so you can run what little we have left of the season out and swap it this summer, im sure it took a while for the flywheel to come apart like that, a few more trips aint gonna kill it.
These cranks are a bit weak to start with the only way to keep em right is to weld em together

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.